El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted the vinyl door pieces of my 79 with the plastic/vinyl paint from my local auto store (Advance Auto) and despite a warm dry day, the paint is still tacky 6 months later. Any advice? I know I was just trying to use a home remedy 'rattle can' fix, but it covered well and looks nice, but it sux when you stick to the armrest.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Not sure you want to hear it but I'd get some lacquer thinner and wash all that paint off. Then I'd use a proffessional line of paint such as DuPont or PPG mixed by your local jobber to the interior code of your car. It will match better and be far more durable with the right amount of sheen.
If you don't have or want to use spray equipment, they can mix it and put it in a spray can for you. Talk to someone at your local auto body supply.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanx

Bobby,
Thanx! you are right that is isn't what I wanted to hear but it IS what I needed to hear. I have no problem with doing that. The appearance was immediately upgraded so to do the job right will be a significant improvement. Thanx for letting me know.:You_Rock:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
There is a complete line of products for both vinyl and plastic. Proper pre-treating, primers, etc... from SEM. Lots of different colors are available.

Did a color change on an old Riviera interior years ago - looked factory when I was done and NO sticky anywhere.

English Color & Supply here in Texas carries the SEM product line.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the info

Great advice and direction. I've learned a valuable lesson so it is much appreciated. Thanx.:texas:

·
2,566 Posts
Guys SEM is a really outdated product for vinyl paint. The line has a hit or miss color offering and really isn't much cheaper than having your color code mixed in a premium line.
Some SEM things are OK. Like their weld-thru primer and bumper repair items.
Prep isn't why his paint is still tacky. It's still tacky 'cause it's cheap s#!t, period. If it was bad prep, it'd be peeling.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Guys SEM is a really outdated product for vinyl paint. The line has a hit or miss color offering and really isn't much cheaper than having your color code mixed in a premium line.
Some SEM things are OK. Like their weld-thru primer and bumper repair items.
Prep isn't why his paint is still tacky. It's still tacky 'cause it's cheap s#!t, period. If it was bad prep, it'd be peeling.
cannot argue the SEM outdated point - I used this stuff 12 years ago or more.....

At the time, the advantage was it was rattle can stuff and easy to apply.

·
2,566 Posts
John
That's what I'm saying. Back then if you had to use a spray bomb for whatever reason, you only had that one choice, SEM. Today most auto body supplies can put your custom mixed, color matched paint in a spray can. So instead of settling for a "close enough" color, you can get a very close match.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts