El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: Backup lights in the tailgate of 3rd Gen did not work.
Details:
* Prior owners had car repainted about 5 years ago.
* Prior owners moved from column to B&M hammer ratcheting floor shift.
* I had Shear Performance wire in a B&M neutral Safety switch activated by floor shifter.
* When testing, we found no wires going into the tailgate.

We lowered the tailgate and "Well looky there. No wires going into the bottom of the tailgate".
Since debugging this is something I could do, I deferred the fix to my chores.

The first image is looking up from under the drivers side rear fender.
We see the wiring harness (or at least wires for it) coming from between the fender and inner fender. It doesn't take long to see that the lt. green wire for the backup lights has been cut and taped. This most likely occurred during paint prep.

The second image shows gaining access to the inner parts of the tailgate. The tailgate inside panel is held on by about 20 small Philips head screws. Prior owners added a non gloss black bed spray. There was originally some concern of how difficult it would be to get the sprayed over screws out. The good news is that I did get them out with a screwdriver. I may look for a stainless version for when I reinstall. You can see that I will need to clean up the rust from where the screws went through the inner tailgate. The screws immediately went into a plastic snack bag labeled tailgate screws and then stored into the parts box.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wish as I did, I did not find a complete connected wire set inside the tailgate.

For the passenger side, I found the backup light fixture has a 4 inch electric pigtail connected. It has an odd round connector.

The driver side backup fixture had more. It appears connected. It also has a lt green line with what looks like it would connect to the passenger side ( 4 ), except it only goes halfway to the other light.
There is a longer wire that ends in a cut off lt green wire ( 3 ). That wire has paint overspray from many years ago. It is likely that that needs to be joined to the wiring harness.
There are no ground black wires as shown in the wiring diagram.
There is a small plastic piece ( 1 ) that looks like it would hold the wires above the lowest part of the tailgate, so if water got in the wires would be above it.
There is another plastic piece ( 2 ) that has tape around it that looks like it might be to protect the wires going into the tailgate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes there are advantages to me to take images and look at them closer on a large screen.

I think that it is possible that after the truck was painted, the painter's helper connected the passenger side backup light fixture connector to the driver side connector.

I will need to take the light fixture out to check. This could give me two connectors and the ability to route the broken line down through the tailgate.

If you know where those plastic pieces ( 1 ) hold the wires up, let us know.
If you know that the fixtures ground to the body, let us know.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Light fixtures are internally grounded to the sheetmetal. I THINK ( its been a few moons ) that the plastic wire pieces go into holes near the bottom of the tailgate. I think that I see one of the holes in your last photo. Near the lower left corner of the large access panel opening. - Believe that there are 3 total.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did find that the passenger side was connected to the drivers side light.
I undid the drivers side light and freed the caught wiring and connected to the correct light fixtures.

I still have this question:
How does the green wire route through to the inside of the tailgate?

In the image I can see a pipe like piece (yellow 1) welded to the driver side hinge to route it down to the harness. However, I do not see a hole in the drivers side of the tailgate or bottom of tailgate to route the wire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Hello,

I'm sure glad you guys are having this discussion because I will very soon need the knowledge gained here to wire my tail gate. Thank you.

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found an image online of a used tailgate. It shows a hole drilled through the tail gate approx. between the lowest and middle tailgate hinge screws.

Interestingly, the middle screw on my driver side hinge is missing and may have been used for the wire.
The tailgate hinge screws do not appear avail from OPGI.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Hello Gale,

I could not find those tail gate screws either. I eventually settled for countersunk screws with an Allen head rather than a Phillips head and found them locally here at a specialty screw store for short money. If you need some and can't find them, let me know.

I still have my original but bashed and beat up tail gate and will take a look for you today. I need to do this anyway because of the wiring I'm doing - those new wires are coming out of the plastic sack later today.

Rick

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i disassembled a tailgate and have all the hardware for the hinges and the latch to open the tailgate but I cant recall if It had the wiring.

am headed out until the 4th but I will try and remember when I get back to get it all out and see exactly what I have.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Hello Gale,

Here you go, a few pix from my now derelict 70 tail gate. Though I will be removing that rubber piece on the bottom left side to use in protecting my new wires.

Rick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Hello Again,

This rubber part can be yours and I have already removed it. I think my replacement tail gate is from Dynacorn but they cut no slot for it - mine has no hole for it at all. It needs more of a rectangular hole. Thus, if you need this part, let me know because I'm not going to cut a hole in the bottom of my new tail gate - I will drill a hole for a grommet and pass the wire through that way.

Rick

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ok, pictures from my original gate. The terminal board is for my trailer harness.
As we all know the rubber is not reproduced. I'm lucky that mine, while not perfect, is in decent shape. Single green wire comes out and then under the bumper where it attaches to the main harness on the drivers side

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So, weather was nice today.
I started to work on the rear side of the inner tailgate panel. What I thought was a little surface rust, is heavier rust.

I put a POR 15 starter kit on order.
I started to test how easy/difficult to get the rust off.
It takes a while.

How far down do I need to knock the rust before using the two POR15 chemicals, followed by the POR-15?

I should not need to top coat it, since it will not see UV light.

Here are two images.
Do I need to go further than this test section?
Do I need to go as far as I did in the test section.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
When I have used POR 15 to internally line old motorcycle fuel tanks, I have tried to get all rust, scale and old fuel out all the way to bare metal. I heat up the "Marine Clean" and the "Metal Etch" liquids to a boil as this seems to speed up the chemistry. The Metal Etch is basically phosphoric acid and will leave a coating of iron phosphate on the steel which the POR 15 seems to have a good affinity for.

It takes at least three days for the POR 15 urethane to cure at room temperature. Longer, outside. But this stuff has a very strong smell so you really need to do it outside.

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally had a nice 71 degree day to grind down the rust on the inside of the tailgate inside cover. That took a while when using an old drill motor from 1970 Montgomery Wards PowerKraft.

I used this POR-15 Starter Kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First thin coat of POR-15 went on at 6 PM.
Waiting for it to set up to add second thin coat while it is still tacky.
This is like waiting for paint to dry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks folks on the cautions regarding the POR-15 chemicals.

For anyone else doing this for the first time, read the instructions in advance.
Even with eye protection and a small mask, I still can feel the chemical effects on my cheeks days later. Lots of ventilation is needed.

Drops don't come off, so mask everthing. Wear gloves and then .... watch what you touch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts