El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 79Caballero has had since i bought it a big dent in the tailgate, where somebody obviously ran into a pole or something. SInce the tail gate is 1 piece construction, theres not really any way to get the dent out that I can think of. If anybody has any ideas, email me at [email protected]. Thanx

·
Registered
105 Posts
For you in your backyard, the options are limited. If the dent is what I call 'soft' (no creases) you can try a suction-cup puller. Sometimes you get lucky (not often, but sometimes). I wouldn't invest any meaningful amount of money in it though.

A well-equipped body shop would have several options at their disposal (what they would use would depend on the dent and their personal preferences). Most likely pull it with a screw or welded-stud puller and then use filler to smooth out any uneveness, but there are other ways as well.

When a truck with a high bumper backed into my tailgate, I ended up chasing down a replacement tailgate. My body man thought that would come out better in the end than him trying to work the dent out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts