El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed my tailgate and noticed the pins and bushings were very deteriorated and not worth using again. Searched for new ones but couldn't find any. Does anyone have a clue where to find them. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
here's what I would try

1. do door hinge pins work/can they be made to work?

2. Ace Hardware has several drawers of brass bushings in diff sizes, will one of those work?

3. check the door hinge pins/bushings off of other cars (toyota, subaru, VW, etc...whatever was there in the salvage yard, don't forget to look at tailgate/liftgate hinges too!)

4. If I had too, I would drill out some brass/bronze bar stock for bushings, and use the lower (non-cutting) section of the right sized drill bit cut off to make the pin.

Ya gotta have smart brains man!

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I,m with keyser on this one. I believe stock pin is 1/4" diameter. you could probably find bushings at the better ace hdwr stores. Average parts store door hinge pins are approz 3/8 ". Step drill bits are the best to redrill a nice round hole.
Probably will need to adjust hinges when done.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the door pins are 5/16 as stated above just redrill them the bigger size and buy door pin kits and just use the pins

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
I think I have some nice used pins !! Let me know if you need me to check ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Steve,Are they tailgate pins? If they are I will take them. Just let me know how much. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts