El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, so I hope it goes okay. Could somebody please post pictures of the tailgate latch assemblies? My 1981 elcamino appears normal, but the tailgate rattles due to the looseness of how it latches. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don’t have a photo, but if it rattles check two things. First, do you have the vertical seals on the inside edges of the bed. If you don’t, buy or make them. If you do have them, then adjust the receivers that hold the tailgate closed. Loosen the giant philips head screws, move the recievers forward a skosh, and tighten. Repeat until it closes snugly.
Patrick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. No seals. Everything is adjusted as far as it will go. So I'll search for seals. Thanks patrick

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You’re welcome. Most of the parts vendors sell them but you can make your own by splitting a hose and sliding it on.
Patrick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You’re welcome. Most of the parts vendors sell them but you can make your own by splitting a hose and sliding it on.
Patrick
I used some 1/4 inch thick self adhesive rubber seal from the wife's mushroom process. Not a restoration job. A driver. A very cool driver. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had the same annoying “tailgate rattle” so I did this ...

No more rattle.

I drilled and tapped the latch to accept a flat head bolt, and put a hood bumper pad on it. It is adjusted to hold the tailgate tight and acts just like the hood bumpers. All this because when the stock seals were available, they were way too expensive for what they are, and I did not like the split hose idea, so I got creative. I tried an adhesive backed foam insulation strip on the bed sides, but it kept falling off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same annoying “tailgate rattle” so I did this ...

View attachment 130808
No more rattle.

I drilled and tapped the latch to accept a flat head bolt, and put a hood bumper pad on it. It is adjusted to hold the tailgate tight and acts just like the hood bumpers. All this because when the stock seals were available, they were way too expensive for what they are, and I did not like the split hose idea, so I got creative. I tried an adhesive backed foam insulation strip on the bed sides, but it kept falling off.
That is nice. When my tape falls off that's what I'll do. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts