El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I need help. I was able to find some upper and lower middle tailgate moldings for my 72 on ebay. Problem is they have no clips and my tailgate is missng them. I thought I had found what I needed from Danchuck but they are to small. The molding looks almost like it would take miniature clips similar to the upper tailgate moldings. Some sites list clips for my year but do not show what they look like. :evil:
So if anyone out there can help me find the correct ones or something else to use I would be thankful. :)
Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete :p
But those are for the top tailgate trim. I am looking for the clips for the upper and lower middle trim of the tailgate.
Mike

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Great question, but I came up with a blank after looking in NPD, The El Camino Store, Ground Up, The Paddock, Year One, and OPG. Most will sell the moulding with the clips, but none seem to have the clips by themselves.
I would think a call to some of these vendors would work for you. Let us know what you find because I have a '72 also and need to replace the moulding in the near future.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Are the "clips" the little plastic tabs that fit onto the small rivits/screws along the tail molding line? Are those what you guys are wanting?

My 76 has the two tone trim the long trim along the side rear quarters and the tail gate. There are small plastic tabs that fit over the head of some small rivits/screws and you slide the trim over them. Is this the sort of thing?

If I knew for sure, I guess I could look on mine this evening, I'll bet I know where to get them. I found a company in OK that sells a bunch of that stuff, clips, trim tabs and lots of other stuff. A friend loaned me a catalog when I was doing my 76 and they had everything for exterrior and interior. No actual moldings just the hardware. Let me look this evening and if those are what I think they are then I think I know where to get them. I'll have to get that catalog again. I don't remember the name of the place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Again
Thanks for all the replies. I did buy the clips that were for this application but I must be dense because I cant figure them out. They are plastic and have tails and they look like they go on the rivets on the tailgate,but like I said I cant figure them out and they look like they will not fit the trim right :oops:. But last night I was looking at the clips that go on the trim under the rear window and I can get them to slide on the tailgate molding,so I think I can use them if I pop out a few rivets and place a washer on the end of the screw it should work. Those others did not look like they would hold.
Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Elky Pete
If you do get the name of the company that you were talking about
post it, it sounds like it might help in the future.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'll have the catalog or a web site on this tomorrow. I asked for the catalog and I was told OK but then he said he "thinks" they have a web catalog/site.

It would be really good they have a ton of stuff. Material for seats and interior and clips / fasteners, those tiny little rivets that go in the body etc.... seat springs, buns foam and it goes on and on.

So he'll bring me something tomorrow (Thursday) and I'll post it. It can be a really good source of stuff. Saved my Buns :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts