El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the Tee connection do? The 1/2” heater hose running off the tee branch goes to the back of the intake manifold. But the new fel-pro gasket completely blocks off the rear water inlet to the manifold. The old factory gasket only had a tiny 1/16” hole to let some coolant thru the back passage of the manifold. Someone told me to punch a small hole in the new gasket or I might create a air pocket in the cylinder head and create a hot spot there. Or get a gurgling sound when I turn the heater on? Others say block it off. What should I do?

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Jim

I fixed a few of those on the side of the road when the
pewter connector rotted off, I just plugged them,
SBC's have run forever without the extra T-hose.. not sure what the difference is..
but the bypass/recycle thru the heater hoses is beneficial in a hot climate,
with a barely big enuff or older cooling system, it keeps the coolant moving..

my fix down here is the Bypass style heater control valve,,
you keep the recycle, and the heater core don't have to be full-hot
in the summer time so the AC works harder..

·
Premium Member
8,312 Posts
Hi Jim87elco, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Have fun and enjoy.

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
The purpose of that Tee'd hose was to eliminate air pockets in the rear of the head. It is beneficial to have, as it makes filling the cooling system easier- no burping and refilling required. I also run the bypass Heater control valve, but that does not take care of the rear steam pocket as well as the tee, if at all.

Reactions: dmosko

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
hey D
is that from your later model manual, 87ish ??
I could get behind the steam / air pocket thang if they had the problem on
both sides, but nothing vents the driver side.. so the heads are identical
you can swap them from side to side, but only pass side gets vented..

I could swear my 87 Camaro did not have the T,
but it did have the 3port heater control valve..
it would recycle the coolant back to the radiator when
the heater valve closed on MaxAC..
basicly the same thing as the T does..

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
It was an '87 thing on the Monte Carlo SS engine( where my 305 came from- before the L31), and was just for eliminating the hot spot at the rear of the head where an air pocket forms. It's why we have to "burp" the coolant system to get it fully filled. Don't know why it doesn't impact the driver's side, but suspect it is the routing of the water flow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was an '87 thing on the Monte Carlo SS engine( where my 305 came from- before the L31), and was just for eliminating the hot spot at the rear of the head where an air pocket forms. It's why we have to "burp" the coolant system to get it fully filled. Don't know why it doesn't impact the driver's side, but suspect it is the routing of the water flow.
Why wouldn’t impact the driver side?
The Fel-pro manifold gasket has a small hole on both sides of the head rear water ports and the intake manifold water port goes thru to connect both sides.

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
Why wouldn’t impact the driver side?
The Fel-pro manifold gasket has a small hole on both sides of the head rear water ports and the intake manifold water port goes thru to connect both sides.
Don't see why it wouldn't. It's been a long time since I've dealt with this, but the crossover in the manifold would provide a path for air pockets in either head to be released.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts