El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have a 1984 El Camino. The temp gauge does not work. If I ground the temp wire that goes to the sending unit on the drivers side of the block it will blow the 20amp "C/H" fuse in the fuse block. Everything that I have seen on diagnosing the temp gauge says to ground the wire to see if the gauge moves. None of them mention anything about what to do if that blows a fuse. Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Hi 84Elieblack, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Where abouts are you located? Hope you will meet members in your area and make friends. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but others here will. Have fun with your 84 and the community.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,393 Posts
Hi 84Elieblack,
Welcome to our world from Wesley Chapel, FL. The El Camino world is quite a place and is populated with genuine down to earth folks who are always willing to help

·
Registered
770 Posts
Could be the gauge is shorted inside and sending full voltage to the sending unit. Then you would be blowing your gauge power fuse.
Tom

·
Registered
659 Posts
Welcome to ECC from Seattle, Wa.
'78 Caballero and '79 El Camino.

I hope that you do not take this as an insult, but the wire that you are grounding, is it the one that actually connects to the sending unit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the c/h fuse is the choke heater.
Yep, only 3 20 amp fuse's in the panel. C/H (choke / heater) Hazard lights and tail lights. Something else going on here. Think I would get a gauge and wire it directly to the sender and see what happens. Probably know some one who has a gauge laying around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to ECC from Seattle, Wa.
'78 Caballero and '79 El Camino.

I hope that you do not take this as an insult, but the wire that you are grounding, is it the one that actually connects to the sending unit?
Hello. Yes, I found that the connector was bad to the sending unit between 1&3. I replaced the connector and grounded it like I have seen to see if the gauge would move. As soon as I turned the key to on I heard a pop from the fuse block and the C/H fuse was the only fuse I found that was blown. I put a test light on that connector and it lights up. I put the connector onto the sending unit and it does not blow the fuse. Thanks for the reply. Not insulted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi 84Elieblack, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Where abouts are you located? Hope you will meet members in your area and make friends. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but others here will. Have fun with your 84 and the community.
Hi. I am from Southwestern Indiana.

·
Registered
280 Posts
what motor? the v6 with gauges looks to have a different c/h circuit.
By any chance do you have any of the factory shop manuals? There is an electrical supplement manual that has all the circuits in it.

FYI: there should be more than 3- 20 amp fuses in the panel. There should be a gauge fuse with a 20a in it.
The 20A fuses should be C/H, Wiper, Stop-Haz, Gauges, Tail LP, Turn B/U, and Cig/clock

Do all the other gauges work properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what motor? the v6 with gauges looks to have a different c/h circuit.
By any chance do you have any of the factory shop manuals? There is an electrical supplement manual that has all the circuits in it.

FYI: there should be more than 3- 20 amp fuses in the panel. There should be a gauge fuse with a 20a in it.
The 20A fuses should be C/H, Wiper, Stop-Haz, Gauges, Tail LP, Turn B/U, and Cig/clock

Do all the other gauges work properly?
Not sure what the original engine was. It has a 350 in it now. I don’t have any shop manuals for it. Looked at the fuse box and it does have 20amp fuses for the items you listed. The tach doesn’t work correctly, it mainly just jumps around. The other gauges seem to work ok. Only had the car a few months.

·
Registered
1986 Elcamino 305 4bbl
28 Posts
Hello from northern indiana! the temp sender wire has always been a dark green on all the chevys i've had. the choke heater wire is brown and runs from the fuse to a 2 conductor oil pressure switch. When ign is on and have oil press, power should continue thru oil switch to electric choke heater on carb. maybe you have the lead meant for the oil switch? it would normally be above oil filter .
seems green sender wire always was seperate from other harness comes from behind master cylinder to drivers inner fender well.
Use a 12v bulb like 1004, 1056 even dome light type in series with sender lead to ground it out - bulb limits current so wont blow fuse yet cold filament will be enough to get full guage movement.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,689 Posts
Been there 50% of time this sounds like the temp sender terminal is broken and shorting out, if the test in the post before this one does not work. Get a gauge and test or a sender and test. I could have and extra sender if your in Wesley Chapel I am 50 miles south of you in Bradenton, I have oil senders, sorry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check all grounds, especially the one on top of the emergency brake handle."To me someone towards your fuse box", suggestions: Have your multimeter ouit and check circuit on temperature switch! this where i would start. Happy Holidays everyone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello from northern indiana! the temp sender wire has always been a dark green on all the chevys i've had. the choke heater wire is brown and runs from the fuse to a 2 conductor oil pressure switch. When ign is on and have oil press, power should continue thru oil switch to electric choke heater on carb. maybe you have the lead meant for the oil switch? it would normally be above oil filter .
seems green sender wire always was seperate from other harness comes from behind master cylinder to drivers inner fender well.
Use a 12v bulb like 1004, 1056 even dome light type in series with sender lead to ground it out - bulb limits current so wont blow fuse yet cold filament will be enough to get full guage movement.
Thanks, I will try this when I'm off for Christmas.

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
217 Posts
Ughh I hate when people do this. That was a int post. I wonder what prob was. Soumds lile wires switched and he was on the c/h circuit. Guess we will neevveerr know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts