El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, lovin the forum.
My temperature gauge is reading 220 degrees, 260 before the thermo opens.I am after some advice on what sender my stock 305 should have. I just reconditioned the engine, we had to shut her down 3 times as we thought it was cooking. After adding another temp gauge we found that engine was running at correct temp. As per the pictures my sender has a knob type, rather than a spade type fitting for the wire to attach to. Looking at the Ecklers site, they show my type of sender is for a 1980, spade type is more for my year. My wire looks original and the end is the slide on type which would be correct for my type of sender. My temperature gauge is new, and the old gauge also showed 220 when warm, anyone out there with an original stock 305 car can you tell me what type of sender you have? What one I should have? What does your gauge read when warm.
Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
As long as the temp is correct it doesn’t matter. May want to replace thermostat with a cooler one for this summer. I changed mine to 160 and it seems to like it.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
welcome R
a lot of the older temp sender connectors would work on both the
round T style or the spade connector..

got a part number on the temp sender ??

the gauge is close to being right,
bad connection ??
or maybe the temp sender ground to the block??
try and tighten it up more or loosen the sender and re-tighten..

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
if you change a 190-195* T-stat for a 160*
you have ruff-ly doubled the load on the not so bran-new cooling system
on these not so new cars,, and its not summer yet..
the hotter T-stat will keep the oil cleaner by boiling-off the water/moisture.. less sludge..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a stock 1984 with the 305. I have the temp sensor with the spade connector on it. I run a 195 degree thermostat. I have a AC Delco 15lb pressure cap on the radiator. I have a recently installed new gates water pump. I live in texas down by Houston/Galveston. It's is hot and humid most of the time . All stock parts in my car. Many from rock auto or Ebay.
I rarely see my temp gauge hit 220. I can actually tell when my thermostat opens up. The temp guage will drop. It will almost hit about 210 or so when I first start driving. Once it warms up and the thermostat is doing it thing it always stay about 190-200.
I also have one of the air dams on the front, maybe that helps some. Do you atleast have the small air dam on the car? That will make a difference.
There could be two different sensors used. I know that there were two gauge option available. A U14 and a UF7. The UF7 package does not have the tach. I don't know if the sensors are different though. I know that when I replaced my oil pressure sensor that question came up.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually there are only two types of gm senders electrically, idiot light and gauge. Then there is the efi sender. Gut still works the same for th gauge. Through the years the design has changed but still the same electrically. To test the gauge disconnect the wire, gauge should peg out high, then ground the wire, guage should zero out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you change a 190-195* T-stat for a 160*
you have ruff-ly doubled the load on the not so bran-new cooling system
on these not so new cars,, and its not summer yet..
the hotter T-stat will keep the oil cleaner by boiling-off the water/moisture.. less sludge..
The reason for higher tstat is in the electronic early stages the ecm needs to see that higher temp to make the fuel air ratio adjustment.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The reason for higher tstat is in the electronic early stages the ecm needs to see that higher temp to make the fuel air ratio adjustment.
This is true, but I must add, the combustion chamber needs this warmer temp to achieve optimal fuel economy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as the temp is correct it doesn’t matter. May want to replace thermostat with a cooler one for this summer. I changed mine to 160 and it seems to like it.
The temp is running at 170 on an additional temp gauge, but 220 on the dash temp gauge. like my dash gauge and engine temp to match

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a stock 1984 with the 305. I have the temp sensor with the spade connector on it. I run a 195 degree thermostat. I have a AC Delco 15lb pressure cap on the radiator. I have a recently installed new gates water pump. I live in texas down by Houston/Galveston. It's is hot and humid most of the time . All stock parts in my car. Many from rock auto or Ebay.
I rarely see my temp gauge hit 220. I can actually tell when my thermostat opens up. The temp guage will drop. It will almost hit about 210 or so when I first start driving. Once it warms up and the thermostat is doing it thing it always stay about 190-200.
I also have one of the air dams on the front, maybe that helps some. Do you atleast have the small air dam on the car? That will make a difference.
There could be two different sensors used. I know that there were two gauge option available. A U14 and a UF7. The UF7 package does not have the tach. I don't know if the sensors are different though. I know that when I replaced my oil pressure sensor that question came up.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the info, i am running a 16Lb cap and 180 thermo, i do a change and see what happens. I do have a small air dam at front

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welcome R
a lot of the older temp sender connectors would work on both the
round T style or the spade connector..

got a part number on the temp sender ??

the gauge is close to being right,
bad connection ??
or maybe the temp sender ground to the block??
try and tighten it up more or loosen the sender and re-tighten..
Will take a look and see if there is a part number part number, just gave the wire end connector a good clean up, see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
sorry, my bad Rocket,, too early, not enuff coffee I guess, CRS day..

if you have a bad connection / ground on a temp sender it will read LOWER not higher..
key-on and grounding the sender wire will make the gauge read high, lower ohms..

maybe the sender is just a little defective, wrong range or got dropped too many times..
gaugescoolant.jpg
Lumpy
start a new T-stat thread.. or try a search..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts