El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 Elky with a '71 350V8 out of an Elky. Currently I run a live aftermarket gaugu set with a metal temp sensor sticking down into the intake manifold. I would like to install a dual electric fan set-up and it seems the wiring harness needs a temp sensor also. It looks like there is a water plug on the left side (driver's side) just below the header flange. It is a square shaped plug.

Firstly, being so close to the headers, is this a bad place to put a temp sensor? Is it big enough to place that long metal sensor inside the block there? Or should I use a sensor without the long metal thing and use one that has a tab to connect to a female connector? If I install a dual fan set-up, does it usually need two connections on the sensor screwed into the block? Or should I use the intake manifold sensor for the dual fans?

I would like to use the factory gauges, but also use the aftermarket ones for awhile to make sure the factory gauge is working fine. With electric fans, I'm not sure how many sensors I need and where they should be placed.

Jay

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
that plug between the 2 front spark plugs on the driver side is the normal factory location for the
electric temp switch or sender,, there is also one on the pass side between the 2 rear plugs..

all three locations will work,, but you might get a little different reading..

you can use a 1 or 2 wire switch for the electric temp switch for the fans,, i think most are 1 wire.. it makes a ground for the fan relay..

the long 3" capalary tube is the mechanical version of the temp switch,,
it usually goes in the radiator fins or in the radiator inlet drain on a cross flow rad,,
or is attached to the top rad hose..:texas:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! That capalary tube actually fit into the Edelbrock intake, is it okay to leave it there? (The prior owner had the prior one installed there, so I thought that's where it went, that's what I get for thinking! lol)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
on the early ones like yours the factory sender was to the driver side of the thermostat houseing.the factory spot for the fan switch was in the pass side head between 6 and 8

1 - 5 of 5 Posts