El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I have a temporary spare that the past owner has possibly put in my 86 El and it needs to be replaced. Has anyone used a later model temp spare on theirs and if so, do you remember what model it came from.Also had thought of doing away with the spare and using one of the mini-compressors and Slime for an emergency. I know i can put a standard spare in it but sort of like the added space available with the temp spare . Thanks for the thoughts , WP

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I am looking for one myself. In my case to be somewhat close to the diameter of the tires I'm running I need a space saver in the 26"- 27" range. I spent some time at a junk yard searching through cars with our bolt pattern and came up empty. You might have better luck if the diameter you need is smaller.
Ang.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I was thinking about carrying a can of 'fix a flat' instead of a spare. My tires are new so I 'think' a puncture will cause a flat, not a tire explosion.
Thoughts...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well...you could just carry a cell phone and a AAA card! The best tools on earth.

Keep in mind if you use a space-saver spare on the rear, it will pretty quickly ruin most positraction units.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I was thinking about carrying a can of 'fix a flat' instead of a spare. My tires are new so I 'think' a puncture will cause a flat, not a tire explosion.
Thoughts...
Ever heard of that guy Murphy and his law :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Well...you could just carry a cell phone and a AAA card! The best tools on earth.

Keep in mind if you use a space-saver spare on the rear, it will pretty quickly ruin most positraction units.
Is that because of diameter difference?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Yes. Your posi will think you're turning all the time.
I would imagine it would probably be worse on a ratchet style unit, I have a Richmond Powertrax in mine

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am looking for one myself. In my case to be somewhat close to the diameter of the tires I'm running I need a space saver in the 26"- 27" range. I spent some time at a junk yard searching through cars with our bolt pattern and came up empty. You might have better luck if the diameter you need is smaller.
Ang.
Look at the Regals from the same era. That's where I got my space saver from.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I fixed mine ! A friend gave me a rallye wheel and I bought a new tire for it and now I'm ready ! AAA is all well and good,BUT, when you're 150 miles from the closest AAA tow truck you're still in deep "Doo" ! I'd rather have a new spare and the stuff to remedy the situation than to hope I can get help wherever I am. The cats i talked to at some of the online tire sales wanted a hundred bucks for the new emergency spare tire plus I would have to pay to install it ! No thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have uesd the one off of my 96 Corvette, worked very good. Do not wast your money on the Slime compressers, I try two different ones and ether one would work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts