El Camino Central Forum banner
5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  centex396 
#1 ·
First off hi guys new to the forums. Im currently having issues with my 69 El Camino.
Im running a 350 with TH 350 tranny. The car is currently having issues shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd. First off I have changed the modulator with no effect even after adjustments. Here are the symptoms. 1-->2 shifts perfectly at about 15 mph the shift is firm. Shift form 2--->3 doesnt happen. I have run to 70+ MPH with no shift happening. At 40 or 50 MPH if I slip into neutral and then back to drive quickly car will shift cleanly to 3rd. A couple times at near WOT if I let off the gas quickly then acclerate again it will shift to 3rd again a nnice solid shift with no slip. I changed fluid and filter back and while it was apart removed the valve body and all pistons moved freely and everything was clean. There where no metal shaving in oil pan or filter. There was a slight black coating on bottom of pan otherwise teh insides where realy clean. Has anyone run into similar problems or have any suggestions where to go next? Could this be a governor problem?
Thanks in advance for all help.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I have checked the down kick cable. I have checked all vacum lines they all apear to be good and holding vacum. Also it is hooked to manifold vacum. Will check govenor today and get back. What should i be looking for with the govenor?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Ok we decided to just buy a new th 350. it was gonna cost more replacing parts than it would for a new one. :( So know we installed teh new transmission and the car goes into park but doesnt lock the tires all the other gears work perfectly to is there and adjustment i need to do to fix this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.