El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1987 currently has a rebuilt th200 transmission which seems to work fine at the moment. I also own a 1983 Caprice Wagon that has a rebuilt (about 2200 miles on it) 700r4. The rest of the wagon is okay with the exception of the 305 which is awfully tired and noisy. I am wondering if it would be worth it to swap the 700r4 in to the El Camino or if it would make more sense to try to find a good 200r4 and swap that in? Or a th350? Overdrive would be nice, but not really all that important since with a 3.08 rear end I'm turning about 2200 at 65ish mph. I understand i will need a new crossmember and a shorted driveshaft for the 700r4.

My engine is a crate 350/290 that is running really well after adding efi. It isn't making big horsepower, and it's likely not getting any upgrades any time real soon as I'm pretty happy with it at this point.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
The 700r4 has the same gears as my 4l60e and my car came with the .308 posi and gear. My car is turning 2000rpm's at 70 when in lock-up. The 700r4 would be my choice if I were running your set-up. The biggest change to doing a swap like that will be the need for a new trans cross-member. Summit and G-Force make a real nice one but a bit pricey. There are cheaper options but I like the G-Force myself. Also an easy work-around for the lock-up. Some use a toggle switch but I would go with a brake switch out of a 2004r equipped Elko.

Joe

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to get the driveshaft shortened too, correct? Or get a different driveshaft all together.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I need to get the driveshaft shortened too, correct? Or get a different driveshaft all together.
Sorry, wasn't thinking. Yes shortening the driveshaft is necessary. The yoke is the same so nothing but a shortening, which, luckily is the cheapest. Mine cost $145 with new U-Joints, balanced and painted!

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts