El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
That part has been around for many years and I've used quite a few without any problems. There is another kit that is better. It has 4 solid clips that hold the center support in the case, but you have to die grind and modify the support. The one you are looking at should be fine though. :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Mike, I'm finally getting to get my 86 into the trans shop on Monday evening to get the clunk stopped in my 2004-R. The info you talked to Transgo about I have passed on. He said that he really didn't like to use a shift kit in the 200 trans. Is there a reason not to as he can stick a stock V Body in place. He also agreed we needed to add the small spring in the valve .He also said that when the have had problems with a clunk after rebuilding one that the took a spring out of the servo and one out of the governor and that cured it. Sound normal ?? Thanks

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Wayne,
On this thread the clip we are talking about is different than a 2004R TV spring. If you are looking to cure a downshift clunk, then the shop that's checking it could be right. They have an advantage over me to advise you since they can drive it and feel the problem. If you want a good performance feel to your trans, meaning a nice positive shift under load, then the Transgo kit is the way to go. Superior Industries also has a very good kit. Even if I'm building a stock unit I install the small spring on the small TV valve. It's common for it to stick easily. PM me if you want more advise since I sometimes loose track of these threads. :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts