El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.. hope someone can help.. I have a TH350 spitting trans fluid out the filler neck after test drive. I have checked the tranny vent and it is clear. checked the tranny fluid and it's about a quart low.. so that wouldn't do it (I think).. checked the tranny temp and it reads about 170-180.. that seems to be ok. checked for kinked pressure and return lines.. they are ok.. has a new alum radiator tranny fluid connectors at the bottom, new tranny cooler in series with return line back to tranny....pulled the pan to check the filter for clogging or misalignment.. just a tiny debris- not enough to cause this issue I wouldn't think...if it is not none of the above... I'm lost.. what else can it be??
your input/suggestions are sooooo welcomed.. thank you in advance, tony

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your reply. I bought a new Champion radiator and the tranny lines hookup are at the bottom one on left and one on right.. the fellow from Champion said it didn't matter which side went were.. could he have been wrong? should I call them again? Thanks again

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didn't know about the reversing of lines.. thought it was a closed circuit.. however, On the TH350 the tranny fluid line connectors on transmission running to the radiator are as follows: Bottom connector = Pressure Line HOT / Top connector = Return Cool I hope this is right? your thoughts/expertise

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked the tranny vent and it is clear. even blew air in the inlet.. clear

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just wrote a long list of things that might help you and just before I pressed post reply it vanished. I'll try again and maybe make it shorter.

1) One of my old service manuals says that one of the causes of low fluid level is "low cooler-flow". I suggest you remove the aux cooler altogether unless you plan on doing a lot of towing.

2) I suspect that you have over filled the whole system causing the fluid to foam up and come out the filler tube.

3) I'm wondering if you had to fill everything with fluid before your test drive. Should take about 20 pints. If you did according to my service manual you should:

a. Fill the trans with fluid until it touches the lower part of the dipstick.
b. Start the cold engine in park and move the gear selector through each gear and back to park.
c. Immediately check fluid with engine the running and add fluid as needed to bring the fluid level to within 1/4" below the ADD mark. Do not overfill.
d. Drive car until transmission fluid temp reaches 200 degrees. The fluid should level should be at the FULL mark.

I don't think you are really a quart low. It only takes a pint to move the fluid level from ADD to FULL. I had a TH350 start slipping when it was a little over 2 pints low.

Good luck. I don't think you have a serious problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the reply.. good information. When I dropped the pan to chk filter.. only about a little over 2 qts came out of it. so.. I considered that being low.. and someone chimed in about the issue being cavitation/ or starvation will cause it to spit out the filler neck top.. so far vent clear.. change filter..add new Dex fluid.. it calls for 4 qts on filter change only. I put in 3 qts to start with before starting it up and the fluid mark is about a pint over the FULL mark on the dip stick.. I didn't get your msg until now.. should I take some out and go with your plan? or just start it.. check it..test drive it and bring it up to temp and then chk again? Thank you, Tony

·
Registered
372 Posts
"I put in 3 qts to start with before starting it up and the fluid mark is about a pint over the FULL mark on the dip stick"

I'm pretty sure you're overfilled. You should have just put just enough fluid to show on the dipstick before you start it. Then go through the fill procedure with the engine running to get the fluid level to 1/4" below the ADD mark. Then drive until you get the trans temp up to 200 degrees and it should be on the FULL mark with the engine running. Just stop on a level spot to check the fluid level. I have a suction tool that will suck fluid out of the filler tube.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
absolutely.. thank you and will proceed per your email.. thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts