El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won an auction for a TH350 on e-bay. Well when the trans arrived it wasn't a 350 but a TH400. :roll: The 400 looks good and is the HD unit. It has HD 39 stamped on the top. To send it back and fight for the return of my money would be a waste of time. How hard is it going to be to put this 400 in my 81 Elky which has a 350 engine and trans in it now. I know the bolt pattern is the same for the bell-housing and converter. I know that I will need to find a donor car to get the electrical kickdown parts for the 400, shorten the drive shaft and change the yolk.I The biggest concern is can I move the the trans cross member back to accommodate the longer trans.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Yep, you'll have to move the crossmember back and also use a trans mount for the 400.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Robert:

Go to chevelles.com and search in the Transmissions forum for TH350 TH400.

There you will find your answer my son.

Good Luck

·
Banned
881 Posts
I used to have a TH400 in my 79 Elky. I've pulled the drive train out and I'll be willing to sell you the crossmember. It is a TH350 crossmember that I modified. I bought it new from GM about three years ago and modified it to use with a TH400 in an El Camino. Send me a PM if you're interested.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
342 Posts
For the kickdown switch your throttle bracket under the dash should have the bracket to mount the Gm 400 switch.

It was used on some Olds to disengage the ac compressor but the switch was a normally closed instead of normally open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts