El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my shifting was happening at a relatively low RPM (2200) and with no kick down, I decided to try lighter weights in the governor. First time doing it and after a couple ScrewTube videos, I was ready. Passenger side, 4 bolts, minor fluid spill and it was on the table. Weighed and marked the originals as well as the ones in the kit, just to make sure. The originals were 11g and I put in 6g weights. Pretty easy to do and took the 68 out for a test run. Shifts hard at 5400 under full throttle and will shift if I let off slightly as well. Couldn't be happier with the weight swap. Cruising at 40mph and stabbing the throttle, it drops to 2nd and takes off well. Can't wait to try a 1/4 mile run soon.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
INFO only, this is probably the best video out there on working with the governor in the TH400. To optimize the powerband of the SBC, I had to find how I could make it shift at the right points. The Vacuum modulator adjustment is for small adjustments as I understand it and it didn't help me. The lighter the weights installed, the higher the shifts occur.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First test of the 6/6g weights (there are 2 weights in the gov...and you can mix and match weights to get the right RPM shift points for you) did reveal that they were too light. In drive, accelerated to 5300 rpm and hit the rev limiter. Let off 1/2 throttle and it shifted to 2nd... Jumped back on it and hit the rev limiter again, let off/shift into 3rd. So I have the rev limiter adjusted on the low side (but it sounds like it's screaming) and might put it at 5400 on the next pull after I switch the weights a bit... Which I did today but ran out of time for a test. I'm going with a 6g / and 8g so I only swapped out one side. I'm trying for a full throttle shift at 5300 RPM and will keep testing combos until I get it where I can squeak all of the performance out of it. I have 3.08 gears, Detroit posi in a 12 bolt, and the TH400 trans which is a 3 speed. There's a ton of wheel spin so I'll put on a set of DOT drag radials for the next test session. It's supposed to be hot here in the California Central Valley the next few days ( 109 or so ) and i'll try for a run when it's around 80 or so. Going to have to pick up some more trans fluid as each weight change drops about 1/2 of a quart each time.

Reactions: 123pugsy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts