El Camino Central Forum banner

TH400 Overflow Leaks - Dipstick??

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ccc 
#1 ·
Anyone heard of having to change dipsticks when using a shallow aftermarket pan vs a factory deeper one??
Went for a trans filter and they wouldn't warranty against pan leaks unless they replaced my aftermarket, shallow pan with a stock factory one. Later there were pan leaks and they resealed the pan.
Then fluid started bleeding out the overflow tube which it never did before. They took out some fluid and everything seems to be fine except that no fluid shows on the dipstick. They told me that they should have changed the dipstick when they changed to a deeper pan and that they'd order me a new diipstick.
It's possible the first tech that changed the pan knew the proper fluid level but the second tech just went by the "incorrect" dipstick and overfilled it but this sure doesn't make sense to me.

#2 ·
the fluid still has to come to the same height in relation to the case level. the deeper pans didnt take a different dipstick or tube. i had a 87 duelly years ago with a deep pan 400 in it,the trans failed on a road trip and i got a used one from a big block wagon and put it in useing my old dipstick without any problems. the deeper pans only give you more fluid not change the full level. just to be sure hit up trany mike.

#4 ·
in allof the years working on early chevys i dont ever recall being asked for pan depth when i bought a dipstick and tube .unless you had the wrong one to begin with. in ca. i bought my trany parts from dayco in ontario. a new stick and tube are around 20 $ you always replace them together as a set.that is the only way to be sure it is correct

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.