El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a 4-speed or more automatic. Is my best all around choice a 700R4, or should I consider something else? Currently I have a 396 coupled to a Th400 from the factory What I'm trying to do is have a good low end, but still have a reasonable highway performer. What about an add-on overdrive, like Gearvendors or some such, or just go to an aftermarket transmission, Tremec maybe? Thoughts?
Doc

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
You owe it to yourself to check with CA Performance Transmission and ask about what they can do with a TH200-4R. Nice and compact and better gear spread than the TH700R4.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked out their website and I may give them a call. My main reservation is that they are not local to me. I'm in Texas and I am very reluctant to buy something like a transmission from someone who will not be installing it and sorting it out. On the other hand, we don't hesitate to buy crate motors, do we?

Thanks for the suggestion,
Doc

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
If I were in Texas my first stop would be Jake’s. Of course, like here in CA, just because you’re in TX, you could still be a 12 hour drive from him.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,560 Posts
The 700r4 can be built cheaper and handle more hp and torque than the 200r4, the gear ratios spread is only from 1-2, you won’t even notice it with the 396

Find a good local shop to support and they can help steer you in the right direction

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I see you're in Rowlett. Not too far from Mansfield where the guy that built this 700r4 is located.

It's even broken a Yukon 12 bolt posi!

Send me a message if you are interested, he built my 4l60e in the ElCo and will be building one for my 6.0 Mustang project.

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Doc, Do you have any requirements like us older guys with needing a smoother shifting vehicle?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning Old Bear, my main requirement is reliability, something we all probably want. I want a firm shift, gearing that, in conjunction with my 3rd member, will get me off the line and through the mid range efficiently and let me cruise at 70 at under 3k. I want it to kick-down right now if I punch it at cruise. All in all, I guess I want the perfect high performance street transmission that won't embarrass itself on occasional strip visits. I'll never race it, but I see that as desirable in a transmission. Doc

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Put a 2.75 first gear in the Turbo 400 and then install a 3.08 or even better 2.73 rear end ratio with a nice big converter..
I did this in a 64 Pontiac Bonneville with 2.56 rear end gears and it worked real good... Could hit 140-150 if I wanted.. Chris at Continental Converter made me a real nice 13" converter That used to couple real tight above 3000.. It had all kinds of torque multiplication.. It doesn't get any better then the right converter in a well built Turbo 400. This transmission shifter real nice and smooth and positive no banging or jumping. It went into reverse real smoothly. Some of those transmission shift kits ruin the way that transmission was designed to work. Couple that with the lumpy cam with 10" of vacuum, next come the for sale signs..

·
Registered
30 Posts
You owe it to yourself to check with CA Performance Transmission and ask about what they can do with a TH200-4R. Nice and compact and better gear spread than the TH700R4.
I would like a 4-speed or more automatic. Is my best all around choice a 700R4, or should I consider something else? Currently I have a 396 coupled to a Th400 from the factory What I'm trying to do is have a good low end, but still have a reasonable highway performer. What about an add-on overdrive, like Gearvendors or some such, or just go to an aftermarket transmission, Tremec maybe? Thoughts?
Doc
Hi Doc, I have the 700R4 in my '67 behind a punched up 'vette 327 ci 350hp and love it. We also have a '69 GTO Judge, that came with a 400 with shift kit and I hate it. Researched swapping to the best 200R4 and found they came from Monte Carlos and the Buick Grand Nationals. I have the numbers and will be glad to post them. I like Trans Pro on Action St. in Garland, Texas, next door to Rowlett. I live on the other side of the lake, between Rockwall and Lavon. Fredrick Rehders... Flyinhoss

·
Registered
27 Posts
behind a big block , i wouldnt use anything less than a 4l80/85 , its a th400 with over drive and lock up

a peppy small block will blow a 4l60/65/70e/700r4

·
Registered
30 Posts
Doc, Flyinhoss, here (neighbor, next door to Rowlett), I have the 200R4 tranny codes, for the '87 Monte Carlo SS= CZF code. The Grand National = BRF code. I hope it helps. I also recommend Mike Evens Auto Repair in Lavon for any mechanical or resto work you need. I was born in Dallas and grew up in the Garland area and he is the best, most honest and honorable mechanic and individual that I have met. He is just a block off of 205, on CR 485, just across the Lake Ray Hubbard Bridge, on hwy 66! Check out my FB page, fredrick.rehders.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
behind a big block , i wouldnt use anything less than a 4l80/85 , its a th400 with over drive and lock up

a peppy small block will blow a 4l60/65/70e/700r4
The Chevelle in the pic above is running a 496 big block, thats right 496 not 396 and will dip into the high 10's in the 1/4 mile when the weather is cooler. That 700r4 has been in that car for about 5 years worth of weekend warrior drag racing. It broke the 12 bolt Yukon posi last month and now has an Eaton hoping to be able to stay together.

My Elco is running a warmed up 5.3 LS truck motor putting 330hp and 340tq to the wheels and my 4l60e is just lovin it! I've abused it for almost 2 years now, not sure what your talking about that a peppy small block will blow one of these??

The 4l80e is a bit tougher to be sure but has more rotating mass. The arguements can be endless, but I can guarantee the 4l60e/700r4 can be built to handle anything you could want it to handle in a street driven hotrod.

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Chevelle in the pic above is running a 496 big block, thats right 496 not 396 and will dip into the high 10's in the 1/4 mile when the weather is cooler. That 700r4 has been in that car for about 5 years worth of weekend warrior drag racing. It broke the 12 bolt Yukon posi last month and now has an Eaton hoping to be able to stay together.

My Elco is running a warmed up 5.3 LS truck motor putting 330hp and 340tq to the wheels and my 4l60e is just lovin it! I've abused it for almost 2 years now, not sure what your talking about that a peppy small block will blow one of these??

The 4l80e is a bit tougher to be sure but has more rotating mass. The arguements can be endless, but I can guarantee the 4l60e/700r4 can be built to handle anything you could want it to handle in a street driven hotrod.

Joe

even the 4.3 in my s10 blazer is weak and on its way out , the 4l70e is the tbss behind a LS2 are well know not to last , even when built up
im really surprised you have had one last behind a 496 , the built 4l60 is my old 04 gto couldnt handle a 5.7 with a large nitros cam , and 150 shot , and it was built from highly rated shop in , its good yours has lasted
even in the LS world they recommend switching to the 4l80 once you cross into the 5-600whp realm

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to thank all of you for your help and suggestions. The shops and individuals mentioned have all gone into my favorites list, all of them. I have been using Accelerate Auto Group here in Rowlett as my shop for Elky upgrades thus far, but I will be considering others, especially for a transmission swap. There's a lot more to it than just pulling one out and bolting another one in, as we all know. So, thanks guys for all your recomendations, antidotes and the discussion thus far. I appreciate everyone's participation.
Doc

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
even the 4.3 in my s10 blazer is weak and on its way out , the 4l70e is the tbss behind a LS2 are well know not to last , even when built up
im really surprised you have had one last behind a 496 , the built 4l60 is my old 04 gto couldnt handle a 5.7 with a large nitros cam , and 150 shot , and it was built from highly rated shop in , its good yours has lasted
even in the LS world they recommend switching to the 4l80 once you cross into the 5-600whp realm
600 RWHP starts changing things and I'll agree with you, but at that point you have gone a bit past the "mild" small block description, don't remember the last time I saw a SBC (non LS) get anywhere near that number at the wheels. My 4l60e was built to handle 600 crank HP in a GTO. My guy built it just in case (??) the owner broke his currently installed trans at the strip with full race slicks and all the traction he could get on the launch pad. That's not drag radials, real slicks. It really can come down to who's building it too. This guy lives eats and breathes transmission builds and has a small group of friends that bounce ideas off of each other on a regular basis. So, my basic position will be if you're gonna put out 600 crank HP a 700r4/4l60e is plenty. Beyond that get ready for something stronger. If you're running a "normal" big block with a few mods on the street, or even a really strong small block on the street, with street tires or sticky radials, a 4l60/700r4 will make you happy and hold up for pretty much anything you can throw at it, espacially if it was built by a good trans guy! Just gotta tell him what you want it to do.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts