El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you all for helping me learn about the ways to make my 78 Elk better. It's been valuable to me to learn the process of reviewing my 78 El Camino. Thank you to all that have been helping me learn and continue to give me ideas on what I need to do to continue it's progress. Thank you all again. Much appreciated.

Senior Member Participating Member
Your welcome. 馃槷

Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
While you are thanking our members for the help and entertainment you have received from El Camino Central , it is us other members that have a lot to thank you for . As a long time member , joining in 2004 , 78elk has almost 11,000 posts that have welcomed new members , actively participated in NECOA events and provided information that has helped E.C.C.`s reputation as a helpful and family friendly , online site . It was a pleasure to meet 78elk and his lovely wife a number of years ago at the 60 th Anniversary in Arlington , Texas . Again , you have earned a big thank you from us ;)

Registered
87 TX import
While you are thanking our members for the help and entertainment you have received from El Camino Central , it is us other members that have a lot to thank you for . As a long time member , joining in 2004 , 78elk has almost 11,000 posts that have welcomed new members , actively participated in NECOA events and provided information that has helped E.C.C.`s reputation as a helpful and family friendly , online site . It was a pleasure to meet 78elk and his lovely wife a number of years ago at the 60 th Anniversary in Arlington , Texas . Again , you have earned a big thank you from us ;)
Agreed. He was the first to reach out to me when I first joined and made me feel welcome while answering my stupid questions!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's some history about myself. I was raised on a dairy farm, where we didn't do much with engines or automotive service. My family always hired it out. I chose to continue the dairy farm on my own, that me and my family operated for 30 years. When we shut the farm down I offered to by the 78 from my son. The 78 had some body damage to the passenger door and the right rear quarter panel. Then he had a little accident which damaged the grill, and sprung the front fenders. I had a dream of restoring cars, so this was a good place for me to start learning. So I needed to replace the body panels and get painted. The people here have helped me work on these activities as well as some of the normal engine repairs. Thank you again for your help with these projects.

Registered
1978 Elcamino base 305
Rich:
Thank You for hanging around here and being a big part of this community.
You are always there, one of the first to respond to new members posts and welcoming them to the group.
Always offering words of encouragement as projects progress.
That is really what a car/truck/cruck forum should be all about. Not just a bunch of gear heads swapping lies LOL
THANK YOU!!!!!

Premium Member
Thanks to everyone for the help I've received over the past 6 years. Yes I did a few things on my first cars, a 39 Ford, 54 Mercury and so on but soon after marriage I Just had a Company car for the nx 55 or so years so not much experience did I get. So anyway after being retired a couple years I bought a El Camino that was just really for myself. So here I am close to 80 and have the time and can afford a hobby car.... what I can do myself is getting to be limited especially seeing how even an 85 or 86 is a newer car compared to what I learned on. Another great thing of this forum is the local and National Meets where you get to know people you've talked on line and I've have seen someone that has a problem with their ride and out comes the tools and lots of people with a lot of tons knowledge.
So again thx to Rich and Lenny and all those that have help in keeping me and my ride alive.

Registered
Morning guys. I'm a relative newcomer to both this forum and Chevys especially compared to some of you all but not to this hobby. My first resto was a '76 Maverick Stallion I bought at a swap meet car corral and never stopped. For a time, I was into restoring vintage police cars and was the VP of a national club. The group I was involved with had a number of participants that weren't the friendliest and seemed to thrive on creating drama so after a time, I dropped out of that part of the hobby reluctantly but I was always proud of the vehicles I accurately restored right down to the era correct equipment and that everything always worked as it should. I even consulted with a die cast company on a reproduction of one of the cars I built and another is in a book of the same make/model I built. That car was invited to be in the Invitational Pavilion at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle back in '05 when they were honoring Ford police cars. I do miss being in that part of the hobby but don't miss the drama. I have to say that you bunch are the most giving and understanding I've run into in a long while. I've been wrenching on cars pretty much all of my life since I worked in gas stations during my late teens and I just turned 66 earlier this month. I try to give back when I can but I don't know it all by a long shot. It's refreshing to be amongst a group that doesn't look down on another because he/she doesn't know something some consider basic knowledge or asks what some might consider a dumb question. I've been into teaching adult education in public safety with firefighters, EMTs, and police and most recently in the Coast Guard since the early '80s and one thing I impress on my students the first day of class is that the only dumb question is one that never gets asked. I absolutely love that you folks feel the same and practice it. One doesn't have to have teaching credentials to impart knowledge on others. Another thing is that nobody looks critically at anyone else because their Elco isn't exactly stock or has this modification or that one. I'll never forget a fellow I met once at a cruise that had a very nice C3 Corvette. It was street stock but had a blower on it done very well. He told me how he was ostracized by the local Vette community because of that blower. That always stuck with me. That doesn't happen here. You guys have much to be proud of both in your cars and how you treat others in the hobby. I'm glad to be a part of this group.

Registered
Constable, Where do you teach the coast guard. Was a resident of Cape May, NJ for 55 years. Worked as an electrical sub contractor at the base there. Still summer in the area.
Tom
I'm a commander in the Auxiliary and recently got my CG credentials approved to teach both Gold and Silver sides. Right now I'm teaching in 8ER but will be going national in the E Directorate once I put in my app and it gets approved. I'm the ADSO-EM in 8ER and am putting together a new Emergency Management class I'm looking to roll out at the fall DTRAIN in Knoxville this fall.

We're planning to vaca in Delaware again later this summer with the RV and am considering a few days in Cape May just before we head down. Would work out well because we would just have to take the ferry to Lewes where we will be staying at Cape Henlopen. Been at Henlopen many times.

Semper Paratus!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts