El Camino Central Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
glad y'all made it home OK, great seeing y'all & thanks to the cookie lady 😀
I forgot to thank Chuck for the great back road tour & our fearless leader Lenny for help putting on the event , great photos from Steve & videos from Jessie . We have a few photos to post later . Hey Steve how bad was that storm ? A bunch of us heard about Hail & hitailed it home .

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I forgot to thank Chuck for the great back road tour & our fearless leader Lenny for help putting on the event , great photos from Steve & videos from Jessie . We have a few photos to post later . Hey Steve how bad was that storm ? A bunch of us heard about Hail & hitailed it home .
heard a little rain for a few minutes, nothing bad here

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Thanks again Steve for your great event and thanks for everyone who helped and attended. I hope all made it home safely.
Thanks Jesse for the video and Steve for the pictures. I'll post mine tomorrow when I get a chance.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We had a great weekend. Great seeing everyone again and meeting a few members for the first time.
The few of us that stayed Sat. night, most got together for dinner at Texas Roadhouse and had a good time.
There was a bit of rain overnight but I did not even hear it. We left Sun. morning just after 9 and had no rain till we got close to Orlando. A little rain and we drove out of it before we got home. It caught up with us just as we got the truck unloaded.
Hope everyone got home safely. Safe travels till next time, Bill and Ilene (c69vete)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Had a great time. Best things were meeting new folks and seeing those I had previously met again. Secondly, seeing all the El Caminos that were all lovingly cared for, especially the oldest of the group, the beautiful 1960 El Camino. I got the biggest kick out of the young lady who build her El Camino herself and for her first time on a track ran down the dragstrip with a reaction time of 0.002. That's right 2/1000 of a second. Most professional's would be quite happy with that. My thanks go out to Steve, Chuck and any others who may have participated in planning this event. No wonder it has survived for ten years. I will post any of my pictures that are not duplicates of others already posted soon.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,890 Posts
What a great time we had and so happy that 22 El Caminos attended with a good combination of long time as well as new members . NECOA Deputy Director for Florida , Site Moderator at El Camino Central as well as Facebook influencer , Steve Sanders provided us with an event that so many of you thanked us for providing and said they can`t wait for the next Gainesville Get Together . This is the 10 th event that Steve , with past help from Matt ( Kymino 60 ) , sponsored . While it is not a judged event the two $50 cash distance awards went to new participant Steven ( Papa Bef ) , from Miami and North Carolina member Edward Rogers . Barely missing the distance was Kirk from Byron , Georgia and we were so pleased to also have Tommy ( Twyatt1981 ) , from Valdosta Georgia . Good to see several members had parts for sale , trade and a few give a ways . More later :)

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Jesse - The engine sounds good and the shift points sound spot on. Good vid

If the link works for you all, I took some video of the back road cruise that Chuck organized. You may want to turn your audio down, the road noise of the car is loud, and i also didn't realize my music was on (I couldn't hear it while driving). I'm no pro like Ed! Lol Anyways here's the link, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
4,890 Posts
One of the things I enjoy is that our members came from a number of places around the state and not just where the Gainesville Get Together was held . There were members from Miami , Jacksonville Palm Beach/Boca Raton/Wellington , Kissimmee , Wesley Chappel , Indian Rocks Beach , Palm Bay , Bradenton and the Keys . Hey , how about Kirk from Byron , Georgia , Tommy Wyatt from Valdosta , Georgia and Ed Rogers from Mt. Holly , North Carolinia ! Great to see that members have a sense of adventure and are not afraid to take their El Caminos on road trips :cool:

·
4,890 Posts
I would think that a number of you have also received an email from the Baymont asking you to comment on your recent stay . Sadly and surprisingly , the motel has taken a serious nose dive since our last pre-pandemic visit and is in need of a major renovation or complete rebuild . There was an entire floor closed off and a number of rooms we kept empty and not usable due to their condition . My comment to them was that we would love to return at some point but that the consensus of members was that they would not return until a major rebuild has been done . I thanked them for 9 years of nice rooms , good breakfasts and service and looked forward to the new Baymont when it is ready .

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I would think that a number of you have also received an email from the Baymont asking you to comment on your recent stay . Sadly and surprisingly , the motel has taken a serious nose dive since our last pre-pandemic visit and is in need of a major renovation or complete rebuild . There was an entire floor closed off and a number of rooms we kept empty and not usable due to their condition . My comment to them was that we would love to return at some point but that the consensus of members was that they would not return until a major rebuild has been done . I thanked them for 9 years of nice rooms , good breakfasts and service and looked forward to the new Baymont when it is ready .
Lenny sorry to hear about the hotel
Didn't now how bad it is, had a few other people tell me about it
Of Course the lady didn't say anything to me about the condition
I sent them an email about what y'all said about it & see if they answer me ?
Guess will have to find another hotel for next year if they don' do any fixing ?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here is the reply I made

I was not as nice as you. I just stated the facts, just the facts.

I will try and write this review as fairly as possible but, I was extremely disappointed with our Gainesville, FL stay at this Baymont Inn and Suites which is supposedly “The Rising Star of Gainesville". Upon check in we were assigned room 131 which would be ready for us in an hour or so. That was no problem so we went exploring around town. Upon returning around 4 PM we went to the room and it was a shamble, bed not made, wet towels on the floor and bed, trash can full, etc., etc. We then noticed papers taped some of the room doors which said that those rooms were condemned and not fit for human habitation, the condemnation posters were on about 25% of the rooms nearby. We called the office and was passed to a manager who said they would reassign me to another room because room 131 was not supposed to used. We were offered another room on the third floor but we wanted on the first floor near our car. We were assigned room 143 which really needed deep cleaning but we were tired and figured since we only needed a place to clean up and sleep, we could stand it for the two days we would be there. Well, first thing after walking barefoot through the room we needed to brush the dirt off of our feet. The microwave, TV, dresser, nightstands were covered with dust. Walking onto the toilet/tub area there was what appears to be mold in the corner of the back wall and the bathtub which had quite obviously been painted over to cover it up, but the paint is peeling and the mold is visible again. Why did we not leave, I don’t know, (stupid I guess). Next morning we went up front for the complimentary breakfast. Waffles, cereal, danish pastry, muffins, coffee and juice. Several people in line and only two ½ pints of milk, 3 danish pastry’s, and 4 or 5 muffins were available. During the day we were away attending a function which was our reason for being in Gainesville we returned to the motel around 4:30 PM. Surprise. Surprise. Our room was exactly like we left it, bed not made, trash can full, no fresh towels. When the office was contacted for fresh towels, the response was “Can’t you just re use the one you have”. The next morning my wife thought she would make coffee using he complimentary coffee maker. She found that the pot was already full of water so we passed on coffee. So, we packed up and departed never to return. DO NOT THINK THIS PLACE IS TYPICAL OF BAYMONT INN’S. It is not. In fact, it does not deserve to be a Baymont Inn. We have stayed at several and they were everything you could expect. On a scale of 0 to 10, I would rate our experience at a minus 3. Stay at your own risk.

I though I would get a response but have not received one yet

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I gave low marks and explanation of the reasons. My room wasn't as bad as the others, but the structure was about to fall down, even the stairs condemned. The fire department probably would shut that down.

·
Registered
1969 SS396
106 Posts
Thanks for posting all the pictures, nice to look at to get togethers from way up here Connecticut! Hopefully next year mine will be on the road and I would like to make some of these meetups!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I sent an email to the Mgr of the Baymont
Saying not happy & my guest of the Get-Together not happy either
I also posted some feedback & email to the Wyndham hotels (owner of baymonts)
Got this response today

Hello Steve,
My hotel is in the process of being fully renovated outside and to be painted as well. The construction company came out last week, so we expect them to start working on the hotel in the next few weeks.

Best Regards,

Andrea Goldson

I sent another email asking what they're doing on the inside ?

·
4,890 Posts
Thanks to those of you that sent feedback to the Baymont and glad to hear they are getting ready for renovation . Sorry to hear other rooms were worse than ours . Our room had been cleaned , not as bad as the others but definitely in need of a major rehab . Hey , " onward through the fog " and we can start to look around for a nice place to stay at next year . David , sorry I missed your phone call that you had replaced the alternator in your tow truck and were heading for the cruise-in . What is your name/handle here at E.C.C. ? Great that your daughter raced her Camino . She did well ! Great to see JlcustomZ at the track . Joe has been working so much that he has not done a lot to it lately but always a work of mechanical art . There was a nice array of rides from stock to show to muscle . The ongoing Summit Race Series at the track was fun to watch . My drive back home to the Keys was so much better that the 7 1/2 hours it took going up on the Fl. Turnpike and Highway 70 across the interior to Jay`s house in Bradenton . . The traffic was really thick from Marathon ( 50 miles north of Key West ) , to almost Port St. Lucie . The return southern trip on I 75 South was much better and only took just over 6 hours to get home . Anyone else have some photos they can post ?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Hey R/T
I copied & paste your message about the hotel & emailed it to the Mgr
in case she didn't she it

121 - 140 of 144 Posts