El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here are a few pics of my 65 El Camino street car project. From when I got her till now.
New fuel tank
Started to lower it and realized I had a cracked lower control arm
Got some TRZ upper and lower control arms

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Put a 3in Jegs exhaust on
Got a VFN fiberglass cowl hood
New wheels from Jegs with Mickey Thompson Drag Radials
Testing her out
Hated the tailpipes so we put on some turn downs behind the rear tires

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found out I had a rust hole on the side of the stock oil pan, so I pulled the motor
Went with a Milodon pan
Going back together with a new Ram clutch
Removed the power steering and put in an S10 manual box

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figured I'd be taken her to the track so I put a driveshaft loop in
Mounted a new Autometer Tach
Another test hit
New Grant Steering wheel
Loaded up and off to the track
Didn't go to well at the track. Car would launch than sputter sputter fire up and go. Horrible 60'
Fastest she went was a 13.39 at 104

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made 3 passes and collapsed a lifter
Put some new Crower roller lifters in
Back together cruising around
Couple more test hits
Rear started to make noise around turns. Broke the posi unit and axles were twisting

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
"Sorry for the pics".. he says..

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,453 Posts
No need to be SORRY. I enjoyed the read. It sounds like you have had your share of bad luck or just hard driving. Keep up the good work.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jared...nice truck! Did the S10 steering box bolt tight up? What year box, if you know?
James

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jared...nice truck! Did the S10 steering box bolt tight up? What year box, if you know?
James
The steering box works great. I had to change the rag joint cause the power steering box had an oversized course splines end on it. But other than that, it bolted in easy. Just swap the pitman arm. It came off an early first gen s10.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its important to test. and test again :twisted:

horrible 60ft?!?!?!. Thats about my usual!!! :lookround:
The best 60'it had was a 1.99 and that's when it went the 13.39 at 104. I'm thinking if it would have launched better without sputtering past the 60' mark. It could have ran a 12.99 or better. I think from the launch it sprayed fuel out of the vent tubes and started flooding the motor from what it sounded like. Hopefully this blower wakes her up a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I am sure you are more knowledgable than I. However I wanted to remind you of this step and provide a link to the resource. If needed, it is better to catch it prior to bolting on the manifold.

Pro-Street 177 & 256​
Note: It may necessary to drill and tap the hole in the manifold for the boost gauge before installing the manifold on the engine.

WEIAND SUPERCHARGER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am sure you are more knowledgable than I. However I wanted to remind you of this step and provide a link to the resource. If needed, it is better to catch it prior to bolting on the manifold.

Pro-Street 177 & 256[/LEFTover]
Note: It may necessary to drill and tap the hole in the manifold for the boost gauge before installing the manifold on the engine.

WEIAND SUPERCHARGER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Thanks for the heads up. This is a used blower, so someone has already drilled for the boost fitting.​

1 - 20 of 90 Posts