El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fortunately, this time it was in my yard. It acted like it ran out of gas. I put a see-through filter in the line just before the carb, and there was no fuel. I started the engine a few times with ether, and it started pumping fuel again.

I think I have a fuel pump problem. When it pumps, it looks like there is a lot of air in the gas. It took quite a while to fill up the filter.

Here's a photo of the fuel pump. It looks to me like it's a bypass filter that has been replumbed. What do you guys think? Is this my problem? Or are they all like this?

· Premium Member
852 Posts
never seen that before.......I believe there are two-line and three-line pumps...looks like this one is a three line pump on a two-line car

· Premium Member
6,148 Posts
One of the fittings on the pump that have hoses connected should be a 3/8 and one should be a 1/4". the 1/4" should be plugged if you don't have a return to connect it to. what you have there is a self feeding circle instead of pulling fuel from the tank and pushing to the carb.

· Deputy Director Region 13
2,257 Posts
I'd say get the right pump, their cheap and you know it will be good and hooked up right!!!:nanawrench:
Donny
x2 That doesn't look right. Should only have 2 lines. 1 rubber line in, and steel line out to carb.

Tim

· Registered
281 Posts
another vote for getting correct pump. how long have you had your ride? that pump looks brand new compared to everything else. did you install or PO? Looks like someone threw on first pump they found and didn't plumb correctly

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've only had it a few weeks. It died completely the day after I bought it, and I had to have it towed home. The fuel filter was really dirty, and I thought I'd found the problem. Got it back running, took a bunch of smog stuff off, drove it around for a morning with no trouble, then it died in my driveway. I pulled the filter off, and it was bone dry.

I have the right pump on it now, and I'm hoping I've solved the problem. However, I may have to take the tank down and check it if I have any more trouble.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
the third small line is a vapor return to the tank to prevent vaporlock.the way you have it wont hurt but unnessary.just plug the smal line and check the rubber line back by the tank for leaks as it would arieate the fuel and not alow the pump to pick up solid stream of fuel. the pump will suck air instead of fuel. the pump you have will work fine .i have had to use one in a pinch by just by plugging the small line

· VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
Pick up a new pump. They are cheap. What you have would make great doorstop in your garage. I bouggt an Edelbrock pump for around $40 @ Advance Auto. It puts out a perfect 6.5 psi @ 3000. Perfect for my QFT Holley.:beer:k

· Registered
28 Posts
I do have one question for you.. You mentioned putting on a see through filter. Please tell me its one of the molded plastic filters instead of the glass screw together filters. The glass ones will dry up on the gaskets at times and leak fuel causing a fire (ask me how i know).. I will never trust the glass ones anymore no matter how nice they actually look..

· Registered
2,102 Posts
i never use anything between the pump and carb but solid steel line.all filters are before the pump to avoid leaks and insueing fire. i have seen way too many sweet works of art burned to the ground by fuel leaks

· Registered
2 Posts
I do have one question for you.. You mentioned putting on a see through filter. Please tell me its one of the molded plastic filters instead of the glass screw together filters. The glass ones will dry up on the gaskets at times and leak fuel causing a fire (ask me how i know).. I will never trust the glass ones anymore no matter how nice they actually look..
Seconded! Fortunately caught the leak before a fire here, but those glass filters are worthless.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
i use the autozone 16$ pump even on my 400 and it had absolutely no problem feeding a 500 hp 400 small block. why throw a lot of unnessary money at a part when reasonably priced alternatives are around:dontknow:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.