El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a rear sway bar from OPGI for $99.00. Put it on the 84 ELKY today and wow what a difference! The car feels much tighter, doesn't rattle as much, doesn't wander at highway speeds and corners much better! It just plain tracks down the road much better! That is the most significant performance improvement I have gained in my car! If you don't have one it should be your next investment.
RTT:nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Yeah kind of makes you wonder why it wasn't standard equipment.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
One from a junkyard Malibu was my first suspension mod. I,ve always planned on making mounts to put swaybar bushings on axle ,like Lauren Engineering used to sell to make more effective use of the bar, but haven't got around to it yet.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I ordered a rear sway bar from OPGI for $99.00. Put it on the 84 ELKY today and wow what a difference! The car feels much tighter, doesn't rattle as much, doesn't wander at highway speeds and corners much better! It just plain tracks down the road much better! That is the most significant performance improvement I have gained in my car! If you don't have one it should be your next investment.
I watched it installed on youtube and the only thing you really have to mod. is drilling two holes in the frame. Is it that easy Todd? If so I'm in for one.!!!!:nanawrench::nanawrench::beer: And two other bolts but there already there 2-u bolts with bushings and your done. What's the part number my friend???

·
2,566 Posts
OEM type mounts with 2 bolts on each lower control arm. The holes are already there. The Hotchkiss one I put on my GP is a bit heavier than the GM one on the elky but mounts the same.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
OEM type mounts with 2 bolts on each lower control arm. The holes are already there. The Hotchkiss one I put on my GP is a bit heavier than the GM one on the elky but mounts the same.
O.k. then the one I saw today must have been aftermarket. It mounted to the control arms and to the frame and required a 1/2 hole drilled on both sides of the frame.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imglad you posted this because I was going to look into one in the future, does it come with all the mounting harware? Mine never had one.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Robert,
The kit is OPGI part #ADDC292. The holes are already there in the control arms however, I did have to reem them out alittle to get the bolts to pass thru. Kit comes with some grease, spacers to keep the control arms from collapsing and washers. I used larger washers but it all fit together real easy. OPGI has it on sale for 96.99. There are better heavier ones out there with u bolts that go over the axle but this one seems to do the trick!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
X 1000 on the sway bar!!
From what I read the General didn't put them on the Elky's because they didn't work well with the air shocks. When I changed my rear end and switched to standard shocks with bags in the springs I couldn't believe the difference in the car.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Hey Robert,
The kit is OPGI part #ADDC292. The holes are already there in the control arms however, I did have to reem them out alittle to get the bolts to pass thru. Kit comes with some grease, spacers to keep the control arms from collapsing and washers. I used larger washers but it all fit together real easy. OPGI has it on sale for 96.99. There are better heavier ones out there with u bolts that go over the axle but this one seems to do the trick!

Then that's the one I saw on you tube it had the u-bolts.

'Todd next time you buy something from OPGI and have it shipped call me first on what their charging for shipping. My mother lives 3-miles away from them and it would give me an excuse to see her and then I could ship it from work no charge anytime. I'm only 20-min. from her. Or if your going to pick it up call and I will meet you there and take you to lunch.

Robert

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good Robert. There is a place out here is Riverside called Rick's Rare El Camino Parts. The guy has a bone yard in the back of his house with tons of parts and 10 or 12 ELkys. I got a speedo cable and a shift linkage piece from him. He says he has re-chromed bumpers better quality OEM's than the stuff we get from OPGI. He has some excellent parts.
I will come have lunch with ya the next time I go to OPGI.
RTT

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds good Robert. There is a place out here is Riverside called Rick's Rare El Camino Parts. The guy has a bone yard in the back of his house with tons of parts and 10 or 12 ELkys. I got a speedo cable and a shift linkage piece from him. He says he has re-chromed bumpers better quality OEM's than the stuff we get from OPGI. He has some excellent parts.
RTT
The guys name is Rob and his business name is rare el camino parts.... Hes got alot of good stuff been buying from him for years hes only 10 mins from my house...

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
picked up mine from a guy who raced a truck, paid 20 bucks and a cold beer
what a deal = best mod i made = next to the posi :beer:

·
Registered
257 Posts
My brother had an old rear end off a grand prix that we were gonna junk so I took it n mounted it the same day when I swaped out the junk rearend that was in the elky.

·
2,566 Posts
Rareelcaminos has alot of nice stuff BUT beware of the rechromes! It's not Rob's fault but the place doing the rechroming is doing something wrong. Or at least they were when I bought my front from him. It actually started peeling from the edges as I was installing it. Paid return shipping and he sent another one that he said was done at a different place. It was better but rather than peeling, it's chipping all over the place.
So instead of paying $300 for a rechrome you'd be better off to buy the new aftermarket. I have the new aftermarket on the rear and it's holding up very well at 1/2 the cost. Only thing is they don't make aftermarket fronts with pad holes only plain. Rears come either way.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
RTT

Shoot I may have to come out there and get some parts. After I get my engine in or Pismo we will talk. My front bumper is hazing I think the chrome is fading or coming off. OPGI IS OVER PRICED BUT THEIR SERVICE MAKES UP FOR IT.
Robert

1 - 20 of 30 Posts