El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my post is new members is out growing that area.
if you want to catch up the original post is
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=245216

a little progress today as i anxiously await my sons 18th birthday.
I called and bought my spot for the Charlotte auto fair this morning. I really lucked out as this is the first year they are doing it in October. The plan is in motion and the car will be parked in turn 4 and wrapped up with tons of gift wrap. A cheap plastic car cover will be used so the paper doesn't turn soggy overnight. Come show day mom and siblings will head out before us and be near the birthday camino. I will let the situation unfold naturally and not walk straight to it but kinda just happen across a car wrapped in paper with his name on it. Once he grasp what the heck just happened we will have miles and miles of vendors to comb through to look for things for his car.

another big update today i pulled a section of the drip rail off and yup she was originally painted white as the build sheet says. originally i was going to have it painted before the show but with knowing this thing has undergone a color change once already i'll just leave it as is and let him pick the color he wants. He had mentioned liking the g body caminos in blue so that may be its new color. the good thing is with tan/camel or what ever color the name is... any body color will go well with it.

Thats about it for now. thanks for reading and dang it October needs to hurry up and get here....

·
Premium Member
8,563 Posts
Happy birthday to your son. What a wonderful gift. An awesome party to receive it at.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so a little gem i found behind the seat was a hand made all wooden console.
I had my son sand and stain it under the impression it was for my mustang. I love finding things like this when going through cars. Maybe its not the best looking console but i just cant help cracking a smile when i think of some old timer making this thing with his own hands.

before

after

not the best pics but you get the idea. someone took some time making this thing, there is even a 12 volt outlet built into the side of it.

i will probably trim out the recessed areas with some thin plastic covered with felt or something.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Spent a couple of hours cleaning the birthday camino today. Sorry no pics since Photbucket likes to make them blurry.

Gave a good scrubbing to the rally wheels that were pretty much a flat black color from brake dust, road grime and years of neglect. They are in decent shape but will need to be sanded and repainted. a very suitable job for the birthday boy.

Took a good hard look around the rest of the interior and decided and complete color change could be accomplished pretty easily if wanted.

The Dash has deep cracks and needs a cap anyway.
The seats are torn and needs a upholstery set
The carpet is well old lol.
so with all the major parts needing to be restored if mr birthday boy decides to, an interior color change will take place.

Im not exactly sure what the original interior color was called.
LT Tan
Camel
Palamino
or a host of other names in the tan/beige family lol.

next armed with armor-all cleaning wipes i gave a good scrub to the door panels. they cleaned up surprisingly well. Under all the arm grease and crud on the drivers side i could see that the door panel had been dyed once before. Looks like it was just a refresh since the 2 colors were pretty close to each other.

Once she was all cleaned up i spent another hours or so driving her around.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Spent a couple of hours cleaning the birthday camino today. Sorry no pics since Photbucket likes to make them blurry.

Gave a good scrubbing to the rally wheels that were pretty much a flat black color from brake dust, road grime and years of neglect. They are in decent shape but will need to be sanded and repainted. a very suitable job for the birthday boy.

Took a good hard look around the rest of the interior and decided and complete color change could be accomplished pretty easily if wanted.

The Dash has deep cracks and needs a cap anyway.
The seats are torn and needs a upholstery set
The carpet is well old lol.
so with all the major parts needing to be restored if mr birthday boy decides to an interior color change will take place.

Im not exactly what the original interior color was called.
LT Tan
Camel
Palamino
or a host of other names in the tan/beige family lol.

next armed with armor-all cleaning wipes i gave a good scrub to the door panels. they cleaned up surprisingly well. Under all the arm grease and crud on the drivers side i could see that the door panel had been dyed once before. Looks like it was just a refresh since the 2 colors were pretty close to each other.

Once she was all cleaned up i spent another hours or so driving her around.
This has been a fun thread to follow along with. If you're looking for a better image hosting service try imgur.com, that's the one I use and functionally its pretty similar to photobucket

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on the short list. I need to buy the interior A pillar and rear trim pieces. also the part under the rear window that the curtain hangs on. With those pieces it will at least be a complete interior. I will throw some new cooper cobra tires on it before the auto fair. Right now it has BFG radial TAs on it but they are starting to dry rot. The Coopers are a lot cheaper and will still have the raised white letters.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the two areas of rust i will have to address.
fingers crossed its as light as it looks on the surface. ill attack it with a rust converter fill in any holes with my welder, body filler and be done.

open to tips, pointers and suggestions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lots of road time in the birthday camino yesterday, including my first night time trip in the car.
More items added to the list:
1. timing is off, it would take a few seconds of cranking to start which was no big deal but yesterday it dieseled a little but when i turned it off a couple times.

2. Idle seems a little high which could also contribute to the dieseling issue.

3. alignment, for the most part it does drive pretty straight the wheel is turned about 10 degrees to the right. The only time its noticeable is in long sweeping turns. There seems to be a point where the wheels want to turn in more rather than hold their line.

4. Exhaust, dont get me wrong i love the sound of a V8 but man the drone in this thing is driving me nuts lol. im yet to crawl underneath to see what kind of exhaust there is if any.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
23 days till delivery day!!!!!!!
Got some trim panels in the mail yesterday and put them on today. A little disappointing that they are dark blue. I had spoke to someone at the el camino store and they assured me they would be black. The original color interior color is tan but as discussed earlier the birthday boy may decide and a complete interior color change. The dark blue is a inconvenience but nothing that cant be fixed.

On another note i was really on the fence over trying to get the car painted before giving it to him but again decided to wait as he may want to change the color. That led me to the decision to go with a wrap. I figure as a first car a paint job would get messed up pretty quick and add in the cost of a color change paint job, yeah sorry birthday boy you are getting a wrap.

With 23 days remaining i guess its time to go ahead and get the new rubbers on. the car is parked in dirt/grass so i wanted to wait as long as possible before putting new tires on.

The trim panels are just thrown up there for now with one screw since they will come down again. The one wrinkle in the headliner is driving me nuts but who knows maybe that color will change to.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,872 Posts
watch out for those car wraps, Heard a lot of people complaining about getting pin holes in them & water getting in behind the wrap & starts to rust the body because the water stays in there ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
watch out for those car wraps, Heard a lot of people complaining about getting pin holes in them & water getting in behind the wrap & starts to rust the body because the water stays in there ?
So long as quality wrap is used and properly installed, they work pretty well. The material has advanced quite a bit in the last few years

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bitter sweet drive in the birthday camino today. I know there arent many drives left in it for me. Felt good though to have all the parts in the interior. Last bit to button up will be to rehang the rear view mirror. On one of the trips to the car wash, I accidentally threw out the button that glues to the windshield . also threw out a door hinge spring before i realized what it was.

I did disconnect the lower speedo cable from the transducer, leaned it against the windshield and went down the street. The Speedo cable turns like a champ so that pretty much means its the transducer thats stopping the speedo from working.

my vendor passes for the autofair came in today wooo hoooo.

·
Premium Member
4,445 Posts
Might be good to lubricate the speedo cable while you have it disconnected.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
October starts tomorrow and we are in the home stretch.
going to order the tires tomorrow.

There are a few lingering questions I have.

Is the 1980 grille unique? I can find replacements for other years but not 1980.

If no replacement available what options are there to re-chrome the original?

If, If.... will the front clip from other years mount up and allow him to use a different year grille?

I cant seem to find seat foam for the split bench with duel arm rest.

Is the radio trim plate also a 1980 "unique" year? One corner is broke off nothing that cant be patched but seems a replacement should be available.

Are the aftermarket door hinges good? On the drivers side top I can see the brass bushings gone and the hole is pretty oval. The passenger side still has oem pins but sags pretty bad.

Thanks to everybody that has provided info so far !!!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,872 Posts
Yes the 1980 grill is a year only part
a lot of people change the grill to 1981 but will need to change the bezels too
Have NOT seen any foam replacements for the bench seat ?
on the radio bezels the 86-87 are different but think the 78-85 are the same
I bought some aftermarket door hinges from mikes montes & was fine, some people changes the bushings on them

1 - 20 of 70 Posts