El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes the 1980 grill is a year only part
a lot of people change the grill to 1981 but will need to change the bezels too
Have NOT seen any foam replacements for the bench seat ?
on the radio bezels the 86-87 are different but think the 78-85 are the same
I bought some aftermarket door hinges from mikes montes & was fine, some people changes the bushings on them
I have not seen foam replacements for the split bench with dual arm rest. seems to be the left out seat of the bunch. Im guessing we will have 2 options.
1 buy foam for a bench and cut to fit.
2 buy plain foam and sculpt it.
one cost money one cost time..... lol

good info on the grille and bezels

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
New tire day!!!
I was able to find some 235 60 15 Cooper Cobras online for $73 each, I took that in to Discount Tire and they price matched it.

before heading there though I swung by the car wash to get the tree sap off of it and to scrub some more years of crud from the interior. I had thought about taking it to tint the windows today but that idea came to screeching halt when the car wash wand of death sprayed the back window and i saw water spraying up the inside of the rear window. Once the unavoidable beeping of the quarter munching machine stopped i took a closer look. seems the seal is bad or someone just put all kinds of stuff on it to try and make it stop.

not discouraged i turned back to the door panels for more arm crud removal.
the upper are in great shape.

the lowers are intact but do show their age. The passenger side is in much better shape.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The theft prevention thoughts were creeping into my head last night. I did a search on the forum and came to the conclusion there is no one answer.
I know if they want it they will get it..... but I am just trying to defend against the the opportunist. I know the weak spot is the column.

I do remember back in the 90's a buddy of mine found a replacement column cover that was made of metal to replace the plastic one. I cant seem to find that anywhere.

I see to ones that lock over the column but i had one of those in the past and hated it. That was in a cutlass with a back seat to throw that monstrosity in. The camino doesnt have that luxury.

I think after all my reading last night ive come up with the following solution.

1. Relocate the battery to the smugglers box. Put it as far back as possible and have it inside a battery box so a person in a rush wont see it, possible even a pad lock on it.
2. A basic alarm something that will operate the power locks via key fob and something that I can adjust the sensitivity on. I dont want this thing going off in my driveway every time a mosquito farts on it.
3. A hidden kill switch. Im thinking possibly a foot operated dimmer switch but i dont know that might be a tad obvious. I will have to sit in the car some and really think where to put one.

the idea is.... the alarm will be the first thing to ward of a thief. unfortunately everyone completely ignores alarms now days. Once in they could quickly disable an alarm. Now said thief has entered the vehicle and disabled the alarm. This is where the hidden battery and kill switch comes in. Assuming here..... most thieves will simply bypass a distributor kill switch by using a jumper wire from the battery to the distributor. If they open the hood and cant find a battery I hope they decide to move on from there. Routing of the battery cables would be key here as they need to be hidden and shielded is possible.

bonus measures
1 shape a piece of steel to cover the top on the column and epoxy the crap out of it to the plastic. yeah they could still crack it on the bottom and peel off the top but we are talking joy riders here....
2 forget all that and get a complete after market column.

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
When I need to jump bat power to the ignition I come off the alternator because it is the handiest. Any good car thief knows the cables are going to end at the starter and alternator.
If you put a kill switch don't forget to run a hot wire to the radio to keep it alive or your
son will hate you for always loosing his setup.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
The thought of theft has bothered me ever since I bought mine and 2 weeks later I get a FB post about a stolen ElCo very similar to mine. Luckily, I have the luxury of being a third car, Garaged, and I only drive it when I can be close when parked. I have kicked around the idea of a hidden pressure type switch(I have a pile of them salvaged from door handles from newer cars) to operate a relay to complete an interruption in the purple starter wire. Haven't come up with the best place to hide it yet but still playing with the idea.

Joe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When I need to jump bat power to the ignition I come off the alternator because it is the handiest. Any good car thief knows the cables are going to end at the starter and alternator.
If you put a kill switch don't forget to run a hot wire to the radio to keep it alive or your
son will hate you for always loosing his setup.
I dont see anyone sliding under to nab power from the starter.
Didnt think about the alternator.

kill switch would be on the dist not a battery kill switch. Crank away but no start.

i did read last night someone took the pin out of their column shifter and would just take the lever with them preventing a thief from getting it in gear, but im thinking you could just use a screw driver as a lever.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The thought of theft has bothered me ever since I bought mine and 2 weeks later I get a FB post about a stolen ElCo very similar to mine. Luckily, I have the luxury of being a third car, Garaged, and I only drive it when I can be close when parked. I have kicked around the idea of a hidden pressure type switch(I have a pile of them salvaged from door handles from newer cars) to operate a relay to complete an interruption in the purple starter wire. Haven't come up with the best place to hide it yet but still playing with the idea.

Joe
I have that luxury with my 73 mustang. The birthday camino will be sons car and his primary means of transport. It wont be an immediate issue but i will have to address it sooner rather than to later.

I have had a j body car stolen and an attempted theft of a g body cutlass. The only thing that saved that was me looking out of my bedroom window and just happen to catch the guy about to bust the window. I ran out with the biggest **** box wrench i had 1-5/16 or something around that size, and confronted the punk. I lived in an apartment and kept my tool box right by the door. He started with some story and i cocked the wrench back and he ran to his get away vehicle screaming for his partner to "get the gun". i got the tag number and the cops got him later.
to be young and dumb again lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
maybe disconnect the hood release but leave everything in place, Install another hidden hood release somewhere on the passenger side?
they will sit there and keep tugging the hood release unable to get the hood open to jump a wire to defeat the dist kill switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
https://www.megatronixusa.com/immobilizer-systems.html

ok now the little mice in my head are running full speed. The above link has a couple of cool options. i do have to say they seem a bit crude. Maybe thats a good thing they arent very mainstream which means the workarounds arent very well known.
the secret kill switch and the key pad got me to thinking that it is pretty much the year 2020 and we dont have the jet packs we all thought we would have by the yearrrrrrrrr 2000............
but we do have blue tooth. There has to be bluetooth enabled relays available. what i am imagining is the kill switch that is activated via your smart phone.
there is the obvious what if you loose your phone issue or what if the battery dies but dang it sounds like a sweet set up........ back to google i go.......

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
One week to go!!!

Drove it around alot today and the timing seems to be be getting worse. My guess is the vac advance is getting stuck. Its pretty crusty looking. Today after about 20 min of highway driving I shut it off and it dieseled a good 2 seconds. When I came out to restart the car it took about 10 seconds of cranking and then it slowly came to life. Once it got running the idle shot up pretty high. Not like a stuck throttle cable high more like around 2000 rpm high. I hit the gas pedal to see if the choke was stuck but that didnt help.
I guess that will be for birthday boy to chase down and trouble shoot but my guess for now is a binding vac advance.
I did try to rotate the dist to see if it was loose but it was good and tight.
that led to a game of where does this wire go lol..... found 2 wires I cant identify not plugged into anything. I will also leave that for birthday boy to figure out.

last but not least I played "lets get a paint quote"
Wow I think I need to go to school for autobody and open a shop.
First shop said about $4500 but understood im not looking for a restoration and sent me to a shop up the road. That shop quoted me $7500 maybe more, maybe less lol.

Im not saying the the work they do is not worth that but dang thats pricey. Looks like we will be learning how to wrap a car soon lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Today is the birthday!!!! I think he suspects something as he actually woke up early. Maybe he was expecting big surprise or something. After breakfast he kinda cornered me and said "sooooooooo whats the deal, do i have to save up for my own car or what?" I asked him if he saw a car out in the driveway with his name on it and he said no.

gonna be a longggggggggggggg 2 days but worth it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
whew.... day 1 done..
tomorrow around noon I will drive it into Charlotte motor speedway and wrap in up.

Today was brutal as he asked me if i would be willing to go look at his friends S10 that he is selling for $750, i told him sure but it will have to be next week. to throw him further off the trail i told him about looking for a car and insurance auctions. He asked me about how to finance a car but the best part was the last thing he said, "to be honest an el camino is what i really want."

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
wrap a car in birthday paper.... it will be fun!!!!!
this goes down in my not such a great idea notes lmao.

Of course dollar tree didnt have enough of one type of paper so i had to get 3 different kinds and a banner to cover the hood but im sure birthday boy wont mind.
The clear cover will come off in the morning before he sees it. Fingers crossed it keeps the paper from turning into a soggy mess tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,168 Posts
Totally awesome. Great idea. Looks great. Hope it brings him a lot of joy.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts