El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for following along everybody.
Birthday boy has dove on in. He is going for something the the gray/silver kinda gunmetal or titanium look for the body and all black interior.
He did pick up some nice modern leather power seats to put in it. I will have to assist in the fabrication there as the mounting points for the new seats absolutely push the limits on width.
they are nice sets though so we will make them work power and all.
We did start dying some of the interior parts today.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for following along everybody.
Birthday boy has dove on in. He is going for something the the gray/silver kinda gunmetal or titanium look for the body and all black interior.
He did pick up some nice modern leather power seats to put in it. I will have to assist in the fabrication there as the mounting points for the new seats absolutely push the limits on width.
they are nice sets though so we will make them work power and all.
We did start dying some of the interior parts today.
I had good luck with plain old duplicolor paint and their vinyl and fabric paint when I redid my interior black and its held up pretty well so far. Also if you're going to have the interior apart to paint, maybe it would be a good time to lay some sound deadening and take out any rust lurking under the carpet? I can tell you it makes a pretty huge difference.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I had good luck with plain old duplicolor paint and their vinyl and fabric paint when I redid my interior black and its held up pretty well so far. Also if you're going to have the interior apart to paint, maybe it would be a good time to lay some sound deadening and take out any rust lurking under the carpet? I can tell you it makes a pretty huge difference.
Lucky for us we have National Parts Depot (NPD) about 20 min form us and they stock SEM paint/dye. They dont carry much for the G body caminos but they do have the dash caps in stock which saves me a ton on shipping cost.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,711 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Member HkdUp87 had a really nice photographed thread on rebuilding dash by adding a dash cap.

PhotoBucket later tried to break the internet and links to images were lost.

The good news is that I caught a backup before the images were made inactive.
Click this link for an Adobe PDF file backup of the thread including images.
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79698&d=1499831949

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Member HkdUp87 had a really nice photographed thread on rebuilding dash by adding a dash cap.

PhotoBucket later tried to break the internet and links to images were lost.

The good news is that I caught a backup before the images were made inactive.
Click this link for an Adobe PDF file backup of the thread including images.
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79698&d=1499831949
Thanks. Not gonna lie the dash is the part i am least looking forward to but it really needs to be done. I really want to get behind the dash and check the airducts which i can see are not hooked up to the vents.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Solid day of work on the birthday camino with the birthday boy today.

over the last few days he has dyed the a pillar trim the front and rear headliner trim and the rear sail/b pillar trim. The micro suede fabric came in the mail today so we went ahead and put it up.

I know we are going backwards on this and interior is usually the last thing to get done but we are gonna vinyl wrap the body and thats gonna be on there a good 4-5 years.

Tomorrow is brakes day nothing major as of yet, just going to have the rotors turned and install some performance pads. The master cylinder will be replaced and the fluid completely flushed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
our pile of new parts and tools is getting bigger by the day. i need to make a list so i dont get lost lol.
first thing though is to get the rear window back in.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
we did do a test fit the other day with the bike.
fits diagonal with the tailgate up or straight with the tailgate down.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Are you planning on adding mounts to the bed to keep the bike strapped down?
I want to go with the lock n load system which bolts to the bed then secures the bike at the foot pegs. No straps needed and no pressure on the front wall of the bed. My son hates trucks with the tailgate down and wants to load diagonal and use straps. I may have to veto him on this one.
In the pic above we are using straps and the original hooks in the bed.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Do you think the factory tie down points are sturdy enough to strap a motorcycle down?
I am not sure what would happen driving around with an El Camino tailgate down.

Pitbull makes a great restraint system that does not use any type of strap,ratcheting or otherwise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Do you think the factory tie down points are sturdy enough to strap a motorcycle down?
I am not sure what would happen driving around with an El Camino tailgate down.

Pitbull makes a great restraint system that does not use any type of strap,ratcheting or otherwise.
this is what i would like to go with.

will have to make a test run to check how the tailgate acts when left down. If needed i could make a brace or something to keep in from bouncing around.

I do not think the factory tie downs are strong enough to hold a bike under hard acceleration or breaking. they are a threaded rivet insert. If we decide to use straps something else would be made to use as tie down points.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
curiosity got to me again. It was time to try and wrap something on the car.
$40 worth of material and about 45 minutes of time and the hood on the birthday camino is black.
after this attempt im gonna go ahead and say we will attempt to wrap the rest of the car ourselves.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
This is such a good story. Your son is also gaining skills that few in his generation seem to care about.

Rick

41 - 60 of 65 Posts