El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a big block alternator and a small block one?
They look the same to me?:dontknow:
Also my motor came with 2 spade connectors into the top of it but there were unhooked. I've tried to hook them up both ways and one way my GEN light comes on, the other way it don't but neither is putting out a charge. I'm going to have the alt. checked but I don't to toast a new one, any ideas on how I can check which one goes where? I'm talking about the place where there should be a one directional plug into the top of it.:dontknow:
1980, 454
Thanks
Donny

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Donny it should connect ,just like your prev 5TH gen's 2 plug spade and one red batt bolt on sb or BB unless some one chaged it to a one wire set up,and that woud not make much sence .:texas:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
if you are looking at the alt from the front of the engine/alternator , the white wire will be on the right spade and the red wire will be to the left .

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But what is the difference between the 2? Size?,bolt pattern? what?:dontknow:
Donny

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
none. Size was determined by how many electrical options. Size refers to amperage output not physical dimensions.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Sometimes the cases are put together differently. They have a 12 o'clock postion and a 3 o'clock position. This is so your terminals are where they need to be and the mounting holes are where they need to be. All this means is that you'd need to remove the thru bolts and and rotate the case. Don't pull the case apart, just rotate it.
I don't think you need to do it but those are the only differences besides output amps.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
...This is what FIXITMAN was talking about the clocking...
.(.if anything,remove the bolts and turn the back half to the proper clocking...:secret: )

..and this one is for an external voltage regulator...

:beer:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes the cases are put together differently. They have a 12 o'clock postion and a 3 o'clock position. This is so your terminals are where they need to be and the mounting holes are where they need to be. All this means is that you'd need to remove the thru bolts and and rotate the case. Don't pull the case apart, just rotate it.
I don't think you need to do it but those are the only differences besides output amps.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!!:beer:
Cases are put together different, just had both in my hands!!!
Donny

·
6,307 Posts
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!!:beer:
Cases are put together different, just had both in my hands!!!
Donny
..miss it by 18 minuets...:let_it_all_out:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Gilby, the pics you posted (except for the bottom one) are either one-wire or three-wire. Works either way. For three-wire, both my vehicles have a red and brown wire. IF I remember correctly the red connects to #1 and then to the BAT post on the alt. The brown wire goes into a harness and probably to volt meter. The connector can be left off, and MOST alts will operate as one-wire alts.

·
6,307 Posts
Gilby, the pics you posted (except for the bottom one) are either one-wire or three-wire. Works either way. For three-wire, both my vehicles have a red and brown wire. IF I remember correctly the red connects to #1 and then to the BAT post on the alt. The brown wire goes into a harness and probably to volt meter. The connector can be left off, and MOST alts will operate as one-wire alts.
..yep..X2..:beer:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts