El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So during my test drive the settle out the new Antique Auto tag, noticed the oil pressure guage would drop to about 10ish, then go right back to 30ish at speed. Normally this'd mean oil is a little low. No biggie, happens. So figured I'd call the po and find out when the last oil change was, the weekend before, he says, but there's an issue. He explained that whomever had the car prior, had for some inexplicable reason, changed out the dipstick and/or tube (the current one kinda warps around the exhaust manifold) and it's wrong, but if you put enough oil in to barely touch the end of the dipstick, that's exactly 5qt, he was so used to it, never bothered to fix it.

I can't do that. I want the correct dipstick, with correct tube, that reads oil level correctly. Not Summit version you gotta mark yourself with a grinder/file. Looked online and there's like 12 different kinds, so I'm totally confused as to which is which, and ECS is discontinued.

How hard can this really be? It's a 87 Caballero 305, passenger side. Anybody have a clue as to which one really fits right?

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Did PO tell you why it was replaced?

Could adding A/C, headers, exhaust change or steering shaft change interfere with the original one?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it's original motor, manifolds, ac, afaik, although there's a few weirdly run vacuum hoses and a ton of electrical splices.

It does have full seperate dual exhaust that bolts to the manifolds, so not sure if it previously had headers that were exchanged before the po got it.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
hmmm, take a look here...

nastyz28.com/threads/check-your-dipstick-length.32460/

they're saying 10-7/8" to 11" from the blockdeck surface is "Full". now, that would be on that car, which may or may not have the same length dipstick tube as well as the same length dipstick. it also depends on whether that is the original oil pan.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've seen 18" tubes, 23" tubes, 24" tubes, and they all say they fit my cabby, although some you gotta read the actual fine print and they'll say it fits an 82-85 305, which I thought was the same 305, oil pan, everything as the 86-87. And others, I read the 1-star reviews (the Spectre brand) all claiming it was too big and didn't fit at all.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I wouldn’t think you have a low oil issue. I’ve had plenty of cars that idle around 10 PSI then go back up to 30, 40, 50 while cruising. Just the nature of an engine and/or oil pump with a bit of wear.

If you think about it, your oil pump spins faster and pumps more oil with higher engine RPM. Oil takes time to drain back into the pan. If your oil level was low it would starve the pickup at higher RPMs and your pressure would drop to zero, but would again show good pressure when the RPMs dropped, thus giving the oil time to do its thing and settle back into the pan.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I’ve seen what the OP descibed with low oil level (temporary drop in a turn due to the pick up sucking air) but I’ve seen a bad sender read similarly, too. It wasn’t as consistent but it would be good-good-good-good-flutterwiggledrop-good-good., causing me to double check the level. New sender fixed it. I agree it needs a correct dipstick but the level may be good. I’d suggest an at home oil change. Check the quantity that comes out, verify five quarts (or what the manual says) in, then drive.
Patrick

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
86-87 up got the new block with the 1 piece Rear seal, and new pan..
not sure what the difference is with the stick..

till you find another
get a long thin welding rod and stick it all the way to the bottom of the
pan till it stops.. change or drain the oil, put 4qts in and check it...
[most car pans are flat bottom 4qt pans, and 1qt in the filter]
mark the stick... that will get you close..
you can bend it over at the top of the tube, so it will be the same every time..
just in case.. DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE MOTOR when you run it..
wipe it off and lay it up on the vent, under the wipers for next time..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked those up. Wow, some are over $300 for a fancy dipstick. Kinda out of budget range lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, that is alot. The one for my 1970 is $110. I needed something flexible to go around my spark plug wire holders but this was the ny one I could fine with flex. I think i need to look harder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts