El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere in another dimension, far, far away, it is still the early 60s. Chevrolet has had it's 1st body style of the el camino out, based on its full-sized Impala/Bel Air platform. For the new year, furd's similar body style has been down-sized to their fairlane mid-sized platform. After much discussion, arguing, and some design concepts, Chevrolet decides to stay the course, and debuts the

1961 El Camino (still based on the full-sized platform)

this model of it will be based on a 2dr 61 Impala wagon resin kit. Like the Green Meanie (the award model made for Region 18 ), the rear window will be moved forward to make the bed area available, by removing the areas covered in the blue tape. The squared rear door posts will also be removed, making it a 2 dr ht elkie. like I said before, if this one floats anyone's boat high out of the water, it will be available for purchase when done.

the resin body came with a cowl induction scoop molded into the stock hood (they did that in 1961 in this other dimension)

Like all resin kits, it takes a donor model to complete it, so here is the donor model

In this other dimension, you can order new cars from the dealer trimmed out like you want, so this one will reflect that. I'll tell you already that I wish I had a real one like this to pull into a car show in, just to watch the eyes bug out! :shocked2: LOL

Follow along, this will be fun!

:rockon:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,284 Posts
..Oh,boy,.. Keyser's chop shop in full swing.!!.:redxrobot:.. look'in good.:rockon:
..:beer::alc:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,517 Posts
Always good to get reports from the Keyser Dimension (cue Rod Serling voice over). I'll enjoy watching this unfold!

:popcornsmiley:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,517 Posts
Submitted for your approval...;-)

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the problems started right away :? once the rear window was mated to the front part of the roof, it became obvious that the C pillars were not as wide as the tops of the body sides....in other words, they just hung out into the air between the tops of the body sides. :frown2: So, I used some rectangular rod (that measures out to a scale 2" X 4") to put a "cross brace" between the body sides that the top could sit on. The plan was to use the brace to attach the top of the front bed side to (more on that later). It did work out well for attaching the top to.

now I start smoothing things out with body putty

I used .030" round rod to make some drip rails. they came out pretty nice (notice how smooth the seam where the back window attached to the front part of the roof turned out :smile2: )

I sanded away the molded in "Impala" and "crossed flags" emblems from that triangle, cause I have photo-etched pieces to go in there

another major problem now raised it's head.....even tho I sanded about 3/32" off the height of that area between the fender wells, the bed floor still wouldn't set down between them very far. the bed came out being like 13-14" deep. That won't work!

So, it will have the "dealer option" bed cover! That works. It will be glued down and not hinged like I usually do.

next is to chop the back seat area off of the interior bucket and fit the interior and door panels to the shortened passenger compartment.

stay tuned!

:nana2:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too bad you couldn't cut out the bed area and make a new one with some flat stock? :bigups:

that area between the fender wells is where the rear suspension and exhaust attaches on the underneath side. I could cut that area out and do the bed floor, but would have to fab the entire rear suspension and fight to get the stance right again to do that. Not worth it

:dontknow:

·
Registered
227 Posts
that area between the fender wells is where the rear suspension and exhaust attaches on the underneath side. I could cut that area out and do the bed floor, but would have to fab the entire rear suspension and fight to get the stance right again to do that. Not worth it

:dontknow:
I'm not sure it wouldn't be worth it. If done first class on an established chassis, it would be gorgeous! Probably cost out the kazoo but you would have a "one of one" El Camino.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm not sure it wouldn't be worth it. If done first class on an established chassis, it would be gorgeous! Probably cost out the kazoo but you would have a "one of one" El Camino.

this is a fun build for me, after all the detail work on the Uber SS elkie! Besides, how many 1961 elkies have you ever seen?

:poketounge:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the interior floor sitting on the chassis for mock up. that area of the seat back for the rear seat and the rear package tray (under back window in a car) has to go

after cutting those off and some checking, I cut the package tray off too, and the seat back part will work great as the rear wall of the cab

spent yest afternoon and today painting and assembling the chassis and engine. looking good so far

it has a slight forward rake. Used a light coat of that black detail wash (water based) on the wheels to tone down the shine just a hair, and now they don't look so "toy like", like they do with the regular chrome from the kit. also added a lil class and painted the thin whitewalls on. this is a fairly new 1961 vehicle remember

also sent it out to Sose Sport Suspensions for some upgraded suspension pieces :wink1:

was wondfering why I was so tired and just realized that I needed to set my clocks ahead one hour. Oooops almost forgot that, hope you didn't

:eh:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the hard part on the builds that aren't duplicating someone else's elkie is picking out the colors to make it. Figured that out over the last few days. Here's the interior (less dash).

Notice that I cut the rectangular pattern into the top part of the rear cab panel, to match the top of the doors (will touch up the door panels a bit tomorrow, where the chrome paint got away from me)

of course, this guy ordered the (photo-etched) sport steering wheel, color-matched to the interior

Copper is actually a factory stock interior color option for full size and corvettes in 1961. It will go great with the exterior color I finally decided on.

What color is that Keyser?

stay tuned and find out!

:secret:

1 - 20 of 202 Posts