1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1973 GMC Sprint. 350 with 4bbl carb details still to come
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1973 GMC Sprint
Chevy 350 V8 with an Edelbrock 4bbl carb, manual choke
TH400 Trans (?) was original, but haven't pulled any numbers off it yet.

My name is Jason, and I am a sucker for making my daughters happy. My youngest came to me a couple of years ago, and said she would like to get an El Camino when it was her turn to drive. I told her it probably wasn't going to happen, because the prices were pretty high on everything I saw at the time. Fast forward to yesterday, and we brought home a 1973 GMC Sprint.
When we went to look at the car, I did all the tire kicking and poking around. Found a little rust, but it seemed to be in places that weren't a big deal. The smile on my little girls face was a serious distraction, and I made the deal without looking too deep.
Got up this morning to some fresh rain, and that's when I found water in the doors and cab, and quite a bit more rust in the floor than I expected.
I can handle mechanical, electrical, and sound. I know where to get the upholstery done. I think I could lay down paint, at least good enough for cruising in our little town. What I know I am about to learn all about is rust removal.
This is the beginning of spending some good time with my kid working on this project, and hoping that all turns out well.
Pictures of the car are next, along with organizing the project into the different categories and getting the work lists laid out.
Nothing left to do now but get started!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Working on getting these pictures uploaded. Got a few today, but had to throw a cover on it because it was starting to rain.
Cleaned up the engine bay a little, and got a good look at the carb. Of course I've already forgotten the part number, and didn't get a picture of that. It has a manual choke, and I finally found that hanging loose under the dash. Seems to work though.
I have power steering hoses coming tomorrow, as the system sprung a leak after I had the shocks all replaced.
Got the front hub bearings repacked too. Got a couple of new Cooper GTs. When my guy pulled the rears for me, he found one trim ring had been JB welded on, twice. Other side was missing clips, so I'm adding those to the parts list. Not sure if I can get the JB weld off, so probably adding a Rallye wheel too.
Found some bucket seats that look like they might fit, and they all have integrated seatbelts. Older caddies, 2002ish Trailblazers, and some Buicks all had potential.
Was hoping to take this up for a wine weekend Saturday, and do a little cruisin with my girl (wife of 33yrs). She doesn't see the finished product yet, so I know she doesn't really like riding in. She sure looks good sitting next to me in it though!
Wont get much done this weekend, but I'll try to get some more pics uploaded.
Back to the real world.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice project! looks like somebody tried to JB weld the beauty ring on...and it didnt work??
Unfortunately, it worked just fine, so it never got done correctly. Had to pop the trim ring off to flip the tires around. I wanted the white letters out, and that's how we found it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great looking 4th gen! I put some 05 de Ville seats in my 77. Mount them as low as you can. The trailblazer seats always measured too high. My top choice was some BMW convertible seats--they have integrated seatbelts over lots of years. But I found the pristine caddy seats at $25 seat day at the pullapart so couldn't pass them up. I have them all wired and even the charger under the passenger seat works. And three point restraints make passengers feel more secure.
That's the direction I am leaning right now. Ill have to look at the 05 Deville specifically, thanks for that. Walked a parts yard the other day, and saw a number of different candidates. Need to break out my tape measure, and see what kind of room I am really working with, and go pull some seats. I can get power seats for $40, and manual seats are $25. Found some in decent shape, but anything going in will get reupholstered first.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can also say a 95 deville bench seat will work also. Which is what I have in Killer.
Is that a split bench? It would be nice to eat the dash when the driver is short.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi everyone, I’m Jordyn, Jason’s daughter. We got to work on the car a little bit today! We started by trying to remove the power steering lines, didn’t even try to move, we soaked them in PB blaster, and hopefully they come out soon. Then we pulled everything off the front of the engine, inspected everything, then realized that the radiator needs replacing, the chrome alternator bracket needs to be cleaned and polished, water pump should probably need replacing, and the hoses will be done when we do the water pump. Plug wires were a mess, we pulled all those off and took all the spark plugs out, they definitely have to go too. Learned a lot about wrenching today, looking forward to working on this as we have time!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Jason here
Got a little more work done today.
After discovering a lower steering leak a couple weeks ago, I had tried getting the hose fittings out of the gear box, and was getting close to cutting them off at the fitting and using a socket on an impact wrench. PB Blaster did its job though, and they actually came off pretty easy today. Looks like the power steering pump itself is leaking, so add it to the parts list. Got plugs gapped and swapped out. The old ones were almost completely worn out.
The radiator is also definitely leaking, and since I am doing a new water pump and hoses, should change it too. An issue I expect is the transmission cooler lines look like I will be replacing them.
New belts and waterpump are here. I have a new adjustable billet alternator bracket coming, along with the moroso wire loom tabs to clean up those wires. Gotta find a radiator, and power steering pump, and get them ordered.
Inches of progress, and feet of dollars as we crawl along, but I am enjoying wrenching again.

Reactions: 78 Elk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey all, Jason here.
Radiator, water neck amd hoses are all on backorder from OPGI, so did a little puttering last night.
Got the old brackets and pulley on the new steering pump. Also got the new bracket for the distributor. Installed both, just to make sure I don't forget where they go as I wait for parts. Will try to get some pics up tonight.
Looked around the engine a little, and found more things requiring repairing or replacing. Ordered the Edelbrock fuel line from carb to filter, and a new braided fuel line from pump to filter. That will get rid of the ugly lines there now.
Bought Taylor plug wires, and some wire organizers. Looked at the distributor, and started thinking I should pull it to inspect. Also thinking I should look at the timing chain and possibly replace, just because I have a slight leak at the cover, and why not spend a little more anyway. Once it's done, it will be done right.
So pics tonight hopefully, and waiting on parts.

Reactions: 78 Elk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Question for some of the gearheads here....
I have an Edelbrock Performer 1405 4bbl carb, manual choke. I noticed there is no kick down cable on the linkage. Does anyone know if this is how the 73's came, or is this something that needs to be rectified? I believe it has a TH350 trans.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just need another source to get those same parts from. I am realizing the 73-77's have some challenges in getting parts. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That helps. I recognize a few of those, and will be checking out the others. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got a little more time in today. Cleaned up the existing plug wires, just need to put the new wires on, and cut them all to the right size. Got a plan for some of these vacuum lines. Broke a small y fitting, so gotta fix that now too.
Put the new fuel line on the carb, and it makes a big difference from the gnarly old rubber line that was there before. You can see the old one sitting on top of the carb in one of the pictures, for comparison.
Starting to see the results I was hoping for!
I'll add some pics next.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Jason here.

Got some more wrenching time in. Finally got confirmation of the radiator shipping, so started to prep for it.
Radiator came out pretty easy. Hoses were rotted pretty badly on the inside, and the coolant was garbage. Trans cooler lines came right out, thanks to a good soak in PB.
Heater hose on the water pump was rotted inside pretty bad too, so starting to wonder what else that I can't see needs attention because of the neglect I see in the coolant. Wondering if it was the same for the oil.
Took the water neck off, and ran into the first real problem I've had so far. One bolt sheared off, and the other one stripped the intake threads. Great. Just :mad: great.
I have a Holley single plane intake I got from a buddy, so I can replace it inexpensively. I was just starting to think we were about to button it back up as a runner again. Now I am seriously considering a rebuild. Looks like there is a trans leak as well, so a little tranny work is probably in order, and wouldn't hurt. Of course all I hear as I say this is dollar signs adding another place on the wrong side of the comma to the budget. 💸💸💸💸
Pics are up next

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Light Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal

Couple more. One shows the new valve covers ready for a fresh set or fires loomed up nice.
Other one is a better view of the new fuel line.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts