Hi everyone, I’m Jordyn, Jason’s daughter. We got to work on the car a little bit today! We started by trying to remove the power steering lines, didn’t even try to move, we soaked them in PB blaster, and hopefully they come out soon. Then we pulled everything off the front of the engine, inspected everything, then realized that the radiator needs replacing, the chrome alternator bracket needs to be cleaned and polished, water pump should probably need replacing, and the hoses will be done when we do the water pump. Plug wires were a mess, we pulled all those off and took all the spark plugs out, they definitely have to go too. Learned a lot about wrenching today, looking forward to working on this as we have time!
One day li'l lady, you'll be a parent. And your kid will get excited about a project and want you to participate, help out, show how, spend time together. On that day, you'll fully understand exactly what this means to your dad, you and him wrenching together. There's no other feeling quite like it. Seriously happy you both get to enjoy this. 😊
Got a little more work done today.
After discovering a lower steering leak a couple weeks ago, I had tried getting the hose fittings out of the gear box, and was getting close to cutting them off at the fitting and using a socket on an impact wrench. PB Blaster did its job though, and they actually came off pretty easy today. Looks like the power steering pump itself is leaking, so add it to the parts list. Got plugs gapped and swapped out. The old ones were almost completely worn out.
The radiator is also definitely leaking, and since I am doing a new water pump and hoses, should change it too. An issue I expect is the transmission cooler lines look like I will be replacing them.
New belts and waterpump are here. I have a new adjustable billet alternator bracket coming, along with the moroso wire loom tabs to clean up those wires. Gotta find a radiator, and power steering pump, and get them ordered.
Inches of progress, and feet of dollars as we crawl along, but I am enjoying wrenching again.
Hey all, Jason here.
Radiator, water neck amd hoses are all on backorder from OPGI, so did a little puttering last night.
Got the old brackets and pulley on the new steering pump. Also got the new bracket for the distributor. Installed both, just to make sure I don't forget where they go as I wait for parts. Will try to get some pics up tonight.
Looked around the engine a little, and found more things requiring repairing or replacing. Ordered the Edelbrock fuel line from carb to filter, and a new braided fuel line from pump to filter. That will get rid of the ugly lines there now.
Bought Taylor plug wires, and some wire organizers. Looked at the distributor, and started thinking I should pull it to inspect. Also thinking I should look at the timing chain and possibly replace, just because I have a slight leak at the cover, and why not spend a little more anyway. Once it's done, it will be done right.
So pics tonight hopefully, and waiting on parts.
Question for some of the gearheads here....
I have an Edelbrock Performer 1405 4bbl carb, manual choke. I noticed there is no kick down cable on the linkage. Does anyone know if this is how the 73's came, or is this something that needs to be rectified? I believe it has a TH350 trans.
Got a little more time in today. Cleaned up the existing plug wires, just need to put the new wires on, and cut them all to the right size. Got a plan for some of these vacuum lines. Broke a small y fitting, so gotta fix that now too.
Put the new fuel line on the carb, and it makes a big difference from the gnarly old rubber line that was there before. You can see the old one sitting on top of the carb in one of the pictures, for comparison.
Starting to see the results I was hoping for!
I'll add some pics next.
Got some more wrenching time in. Finally got confirmation of the radiator shipping, so started to prep for it.
Radiator came out pretty easy. Hoses were rotted pretty badly on the inside, and the coolant was garbage. Trans cooler lines came right out, thanks to a good soak in PB.
Heater hose on the water pump was rotted inside pretty bad too, so starting to wonder what else that I can't see needs attention because of the neglect I see in the coolant. Wondering if it was the same for the oil.
Took the water neck off, and ran into the first real problem I've had so far. One bolt sheared off, and the other one stripped the intake threads. Great. Just great.
I have a Holley single plane intake I got from a buddy, so I can replace it inexpensively. I was just starting to think we were about to button it back up as a runner again. Now I am seriously considering a rebuild. Looks like there is a trans leak as well, so a little tranny work is probably in order, and wouldn't hurt. Of course all I hear as I say this is dollar signs adding another place on the wrong side of the comma to the budget. 💸💸💸💸
Pics are up next