El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day a coworker and I were swapping stories about cars coming back from the dead and just doing things that seem impossible in general. So I figured you guys should have some good stories to tell. What's the most amazing thing you've seen a chevy do? I have 2 stories:

The first involves a 79ish Chevy truck I saw at a mud run. It was most likely a 350 and looked worse then our 78 GMC we brought there which was a very hard thing to accomplish. I remember it was flatbed and had these stacks through the bed made out of rusty old oilfiled pipeing or something. It took off through the pit in first gear and at about 6,000 rpm. I could hear the rods knocking and saw all the blue smoke from the oil burning through the stacks. Half way through, the rad cap blew and steam and coolant went everywhere. The crowd cheered cause something went boom. It sat there dead for about 10 seconds with smoke still coming from the stacks. The tractor they used to pull out the trucks with was already on the way. All of a sudden, you heard a starter turning and then a roar and the crowd just go wild. I looked over and saw the driver throw it back in first and take off again. He made it all the way through. I remember him loading back onto the trailer still knocking worse then ever and still burning oil.

The second involves the 229 v6 that originally came in my camino. The poor thing had 159k on it and was driven hard its entire life. In the last week of its life it was so bogged down and tired I couldn't even drive interstate with it because it couldn't get up to speed fast enough. So, I was out driving around town with it one night trying to get some more fun out of it before I put in my 305 I had just bought. I was at a red light when a guy from my school pulls up in his 76 Chevy van. He said he just put in a new 350 and wanted to race. I told him I wouldn't stand a chance ad explained how the v6 was as good as dead and probably only making about 65 horsepower by now. Well, he talked me into it and I had put a plan together. I was going to hold it in first until about 5,000 rpm (way more then it was supposed to go), then shift to second and repeat. Figured that gave me a fighting chance. Well when we took off my plan worked. I was ahead. Just as I was thinking I had him, I heard a loud pop and my oil pressure go to 0, followed by terrible knocking. Turns out it was the intake gasket. Long story short, I siliconed the intake, put new oil in, and raced the van plus 2 more friends' trucks before calling it a night. The v6 was still running when we pulled it out the next day.

So, I'm sure someone here has something better. Lets hear them!

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I once drove from Warrenville, ILL (a far western suburb of chitcago) down to Creve Coeur, ILL (near Peoria) in my 72 C10 beater. About half way there it started running REAL bad. It was poppin and backfiring and jerking, and I had no options at all but to push on and see if it would make it to my friends house. There were two giant hills that were at least a mile long at a 30* angle that I had to make it up to get there.
I finally made it. Took 3X the gas and over 4X the amount of time it usually took, but I pulled in there poppin and spittin about 930pm.

The next morning we went out to see what was going on with it. Started with the points. uhhh what points??? The half of the points that is attached to the moveable arm were completely missing. It had been firing by the moveable arm hitting on the stationary 1/2 of the points, and I drove it 40 miles that way, including up the 2 big hills.

My friend said if he hadn't have seen it, he would never ever have believed it.

I told him that it was not that big a deal, chevys run forever! (he's a ferd man)

:poke: :nanawrench:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You didn't "dwell" on the broken points for to long a time did you?? (I couldn't resist Keyser!):poke:

Doug

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Many years ago, I had a 63 ft mobile home for sale. When it sold, a group of hispanic guys came and got it with a '79 3/4 ton chevy truck. I thought no way they can pull that. But pull it they did! Really had it squatting, but they only needed to go a couple miles.

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
I was told by a guy I know that on one of his trips the oil pump when out in his motor so he went to a store and go some kotexs, laid them on the rockers, soaked them in oil and stopped every 30 to 40 miles and resoaked them? Made it home!!!:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I'm gonna have to agree and say Donny has it so far haha. I've seen rope and twine fill in for belts before, but never Kotex's for an oil pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts