El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is the email I sent to GM Heritage Center on behalf of NECOA seeking info on 1988 el camino production and their response.

Robert,
The official Chevrolet production records for 1988 do not show any El Caminos being produced.

General Motors Heritage Center
6400 Center Drive
Sterling Heights, MI 48312
(586) 276-0693
[email protected]

"Robert Wirsing" <[email protected]> 04/07/2012 11:14 AM
To
<[email protected]>
cc
Subject
El Camino Club Request

Hi
As a Deputy Director of NECOA (national el camino owner's association) I'm writing on behalf of our club.
Over the years there has been much debate on the existence of 1988 el caminos/caballeros. The general consensus among club members is that they were left over 87's sold in the 88 model year and titled as 87's.
Seems none of the members and we have thousands, have ever seen a true 1988.
Can you please help settle this matter once and for all?
Thank you for help in clearing this up
Robert Wirsing
Deputy Director NECOA Region 1 NY

·
Registered
358 Posts
Amen,.. Bobby - Thanks

Below is the email I sent to GM Heritage Center on behalf of NECOA seeking info on 1988 el camino production and their response.

Robert,
The official Chevrolet production records for 1988 do not show any El Caminos being produced.

General Motors Heritage Center
6400 Center Drive
Sterling Heights, MI 48312
(586) 276-0693
[email protected]

"Robert Wirsing" <[email protected]> 04/07/2012 11:14 AM
To

<[email protected]>
cc

Subject
El Camino Club Request

Hi
As a Deputy Director of NECOA (national el camino owner's association) I'm writing on behalf of our club.
Over the years there has been much debate on the existence of 1988 el caminos/caballeros. The general consensus among club members is that they were left over 87's sold in the 88 model year and titled as 87's.
Seems none of the members and we have thousands, have ever seen a true 1988.
Can you please help settle this matter once and for all?
Thank you for help in clearing this up
Robert Wirsing
Deputy Director NECOA Region 1 NY
Thank You Bobby,... Amen, let's put this to bed. Now I officially know my Camino is a 1987. Appreciate it ! - George - Myrtle Beach, SC
:beer:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,540 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd like to find out how many SS's and how far that option was available... I think I'd give up the Land Shark for a genuine SS.

What about Diablos? Conquistas? My sales manager has an '86 Conquista.

·
Executive Committee Board Member
727 Posts
Hey Bobby - THANKS

I used to dread reading each "next post" to those past discussions of this topic.

This time though - I love it !

Enough is Enough - thanx again for putting an end to the madness.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd still like to know the last VIN# of both the Chevrolet & GMC. :) Thanks for putting this issue to bed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
SteelyBill, 1983 was the last Camino & Caballero built in USA. All '84 - '87s (and some 1988's titled as 1987) were manufactured in Mexico. To this day I think I still smell a taco and salsa coming from under the seat of my '87,..::: - George :???:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Production didn't shift to Mexico until 1985.

I thought we determined there were no 1988's :dontknow:

It's kind of like the guy that gets fired but keeps showing up for work everyday.:dontknow:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts