El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard it both ways on this forum, so now I need to know for sure how this works. With no vacuum applied, is the EFE valve open, or closed? My '82 Elky has vacuum in that circuit when the engine is running, even fully warmed up. So from that I would like to assume that the valve is open. In other words, the default spring-loaded no-vacuum position is closed. But I've seen more than one posting here that the default position is open.

SO WHICH IS IT?

Thank you!

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..Its closed, and after it warms up it opens up..what this does is, warms the engine up quicker
On start up,a vacuum motor acts to close a heat valve in he exhaust manifold which causes exhaust gases to enter the intake manifold heat riser passages and enter the thermostatic air cleaner.Incoming fuel mixture is then heated and more complete fuel evaporation is provided during warm ups...:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When my engine is cold, the EFE sounds like rocks rattling around in a can. As it warms up, the rattling is not so bad, but I found that the vacuum is still there when the engine is fully warmed up so the sender is defective. I disconnected it from the EFE and plugged the hose to the valve on the engine. That fixed the problem. I'll need to hook it up again to pass CA smog!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts