El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1980s el Camino. The power steering pump is leaking and want to replace it but cant find one that look exactly like the one I have. was wondering if this pump is the original one for the car? The one that came with it is on the right (still has the pulley gear on it) and the one on the left is the one they gave me at part store. The one on the left is all I find online if anyone can clarify this I would appreciate it alot.
Hood Motor vehicle Textile Luggage and bags Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you opposed to just fixing the leak? Stock parts are always better than what you’ll get at the parts store. Plus you’ll know for a fact that it fits.
No, The thing is I don't know if this even is the stock part cause I have no idea where the plugged tube goes and the guy I brought it from didn't know. I don't wanna fix the leak and just to turn out its not the right pump. It drives with it but not sure of the full ramifications of driving with the wrong pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going with the diesel that had hydro boost brakes. Look that one up and see if it doesn't match up.
I looked into it and yes it is a pump for hydro boosting due to the pumps I looking the same(The two tubes) but I don't believe my car has a diesel engine. Due to the vin number saying it is a v8 4.4L (I thought it was 5.0L earlier misread the vin translator) and it being pretty small also I don't see any of the other parts needed to have hydro boost brakes like the cooler or filter or any attachment slot on brakes. Master cylinder is after market. The original was the cast iron one.
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Gas

Font Metal Auto part Fashion accessory Bicycle part

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have a vacuum assist brake booster (see arrow in image) and not a hydroboost.
I think the diesels came with hydroboost, so they needed the extra connections as they used the steering pump to power fluid to the hydroboost via extra hoses.
View attachment 150633
The guy I got it from did say he was gonna LS swap it but sold it instead do people do hydroboost when swapping? I'm thinking this came out of a pull apart yard from a close enough vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts