El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 350 sbc mild cam with a m20 4 speed transmission it came with a factory 308 open rear gear i want to install a posi was wondering what would be a good gear ratio to run was thinking 3.42 / 3.55 just not sure have always had 350 turbos this is my first stick in a toy any how .

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
This is a good buy. I Insalled this one with the upgrade 28 spline and Moser axles, but if just wanting a new posi and gear change this is a best buy! I went with 3.55 but also have a 4L60E. Not sure about your final drive but my car runs around 2600-2700 at 80 and just gets quiet and happy at that speed. RPM's are for reference only, good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Final drive in a 4 spd is generally 1:1. It all depends on what you want your car to do. Daily, quarter horse, street beast? 3.08 is great for mileage + performance. The lower you go with the gears the quicker it is but the trade off is mileage and need for stickier tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final drive in a 4 spd is generally 1:1. It all depends on what you want your car to do. Daily, quarter horse, street beast? 3.08 is great for mileage + performance. The lower you go with the gears the quicker it is but the trade off is mileage and need for stickier tires.
Thats what im wondering do i stay with the same gear its truly just a cruiser but i thought while im in there should i change it just dont want to screw myself and Shorten the gears to much .

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
My 69 was a tire smoker with 3.08. Also got around 20 mpg on the highway. 350hp 396.

Reactions: 80elci

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Good move. Jmo for a cruiser 3.08-3.23 is perfect with no O.D.

Reactions: 80elci
1 - 7 of 7 Posts