El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off the subject of our El Camino’s but I just have to comment on ElkySS “Oscar Mayer Weiner Mobile” photo in his posts. I love that thing!

A few years ago I was driving on Hwy 99 here in California and looked in my rear view mirror and see this BIG object moving up on me at a high rate of speed. As it got closer I said to my self, “It can’t be…Is that the Weiner Mobile?” 8O

Guys of my age will remember this thing as kids as it was a great promotional toy car. Sure enough I move out of the fast lane doing about 75 mph and this thing blew by me at about 90! I thought I would see a hot pot of boiling water on wheels chasing it next.

Now that was a cool sight to see, a giant hot dog on wheels!…well except I didn’t like the mustard spots all over my front windshield as it went by.

Anyway cool pic ElkySS, brings a smile to my face everytime I see it! :)

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Glad it brought back memories, guys. First designed in 1936, there have been about five or more versions of the wienermobile in its history. I've always joked with the family about this unique automobile and last Christmas the family found and bought me a Christmas ornament of the wienermobile.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Oh man, I was gonna make a comment about this yesterday but was afraid that I'd find out that I was the oldest guy here so I just ignored ElkySSs' pic like it wasn't there. I, as a lil kid was once inside the original Weiner Mobile and personally met the real Lil Oscar who gave me a Weiner Whistle. This was around the same time that I also met Annette Funnachello (dont know if I spelled her name right) Man we is gettin old! I used to have nightmares I was an Oscar Mayer weiner and I was being chased by hoards of people trying to eat me, took years before the nightmares went away. Now I have nice dreams of beautiful women chasing me to EAT ME, unfortunately they are only dreams.:lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
What a trip! All of us were fortunate to have been a part of that era! I remember getting my weiner whistle too from lil Oscar! But I never met Annette...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Mike we might have to admit anyone who remembers running around blowing our weiner whistle's are giving up our age. I have another birthday this Friday...where does the time go!

Fun to hear that story of how you got your whistle. ElkySS said it has been around a lot longer than I thought. 1936 wow! I thougth they first appeared around the early 50's. All fun stuff! :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Weinermobile

I hate to admit this, but I saw that thing on I-80 just after I got my license in 1975. Almost lost it.

Too funny. It passed me at about 75!

Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Weiner Mobile is now located at Henery Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. I do have about ten whistles, one of which I keep on my desk at work

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Had to bring this back up to the top.

You'll never guess what's on the lot at CBS today. THE WEINER MOBILE!! Haven't had a chance to find out yet but they are probably shotting a commercial here today. Dam and me without my camera. :( Surprised the hell out of me when I rounded a corner and there it was. 8)

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Too bad you couldn't get a pic of the Elky next to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts