El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I live in a high auto theft area. And the massess love my ElCo. :secret:
I park my ride exposed on my driveway. (No garage) What is the best way to park it?
Nose or tail facing street?

Thanks!

PB

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
get a loud alarm disable the blinking light. and put in two kill switches.one to interupt the coil triger wire and one to ground the crank wire. but if they really want it as stated they will get it,just make it as much work as possible.they couldnt start mine so they pushed it away

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
705 Posts
The best solution is multiple deterants. My '83 is not in a garage and I don't drive it very much anymore, so I layered up the precautions. I have a boot on the right rear wheel with wheel locks (only $100), a club on the steering wheel (not much protection as they will just cut the wheel...but it's another layer), and I take the battery completely out...unless the bad guys know you take the battery out, most will not carry spare batteries around with them. If they can manage to cut the boot off, cut the wheel to get the club off, and pop the hood and take the time to bring their own battery and connect it, then finally start it without me knowing, then shame on me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Many options as stated before, depending if your a light sleeper, or couldn't hear a bomb go off. They can pull em right up on the tilt beds and away they go. Secondly, good insurance is always helpful. I got the kind for classics, an agreed upon amount the Elky's worth(above and beyond actual). Any of us would cry if ours came up gone, but that's today's world.

·
Master Dipstick
544 Posts
All good advise, as far as parking pull nose first into your parking spot, turn the wheels all the way to the left or the right. That way if someone tries to lift it from behind and pull it, it will not tow straight.

A tow truck driver told me that....

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I use a great theft deterrent. It is not worth stealing. She looks like crap, sounds worse and there is a big oil stain under the engine.

I do agree with multiple layers. My step-son who drove a tow truck for years told me about angling the wheels. Even a flatbed will have a hard time dragging something parked like that backwards onto a truck. If you have multiple vehicles, use the lower value assets to block your baby. Protect those too.

Don't make it look like a target with trophies in the front seat or anything easy to steal in plain view. Remove the stereo faceplate. Car covers work too.

If it is worth having, then it is worth protecting. Insurance just replaces the dollar value not the true value.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Get a battery disconnect and mount it somewhere hidden. Iv debated doin this on mine. Itd be like a 2nd key to start the car

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
I have Lo/Jack but you can use the cig. lighter as a kill switch. Break club works. Nascar pull off steering wheel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I not condoning anything illegal but rig up a double barrel shotgun and stuff it behind the seats and point it at the driver's door and rig a string from the door to the trigger even if it misses I think he will hightail out of their. Thread Closed Your welcome :nothingtoadd:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
A remoted battery kill switch or starter NO relay will stop them from driving it away. Motion activated flood lamps over the car are a good deterrent. I have a Rottweiler and a wolf hybrid. Aside from the shotgun thingy, which I like, the dogs will almost always detect any activity in your drive.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,105 Posts
No need to shoot. My K-9's are always looking for a snack. I also have a sign on my property that states: TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT
SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT TWICE

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had to park in a high crime area in inner city pittsburgh, they tried to steal my elky three times. I started adding deterants after each try. I have hidden starter cut out switch, a brake line lock, like those used for burn outs, and lastly a streering shaft cover made by cargaurd. You can easily break the strearing shaft housing and use a screwdriver to start the car, so that is what they will more than likely try first, and the cover is pretty inexpensive. The cut out switch is also cheap and easy but doesent make pushing or towing as hard as the line lock does. Like the others said if they want it and are good at it, its gone. Just make it harder to get than the other guys car, criminals are usualy lazy. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
Dog For Sale ------Free to good home. Excellent guard dog.

Owner cannot afford to feed him anymore, as there are no more drug
pushers, thieves, murderers, or molesters left in the neighborhood for
him to eat. Most of them knew Jethro only by his Chinese Street name, Ho
Lee Schitt:nanawrench:

Pramm sent that to me!!
Donny

·
Registered
257 Posts
Grant #470-2001

Wheel Security plus 2 kill switches 1on the power wire to the distributor the other on the starter and make sure u hide them if ur gonna do a switch cuz if ppl know it there kinda defeats the purpose, n if u have nice rims put wheel locks on them there cheep and they work, u can disable the key to start it and put a button in to start it many diff. Ways jus depends on how much u want to work on it n how much ur car/truck means to u jus my input cuz I live in one or the hoods too. But do somthing :poke: do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Be careful with battery disconnect switches; if the car won't crank, then the thief may look for the switch. On one of my cars, I have a disconnect on the electric fuel pump so the car may crank and pop, but it won't start. I'm not saying which car this is publicly, however, as that would defeat the point of a secret switch.:secret:

That's also the only car I've ever had attempted to be stolen. They disconnected the driver's side drive axle because the car was parked in gear. Were it not for the fact that their low-profile jack cracked the fiberglass underbody and nearly dropped the car onto them, they would have succeeded in stealing it while I was in the house; blissfully unaware. There's a reason that the film title was "Gone in 60 Seconds" and that's because it happens that fast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.