El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,708 Posts
I used to always end up with left over even thou the item worked without it.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Good job Kyle. Manual trannies are kind of fun.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks gents. Looking forward to enjoying it a bit again before it goes under the knife again for a rebuilt rear end.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Thanks gents. Looking forward to enjoying it a bit again before it goes under the knife again for a rebuilt rear end.
Car looks awesome! I guess I missed a bunch of pictures before, I like the wheel choice.

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
384 Posts
OMG, why did you do that! I had the same feeling when I pulled out my rear end and had it on jack stands. That looks totally stressful. I f'd up last month when trying to install a shift kit in the TH400. I spent about $600 in parts and ended up pulling the valve body out about 5 times before I gave up and bought a new TCI streetfighter transmissionfor $1400. I had that popped in and the car runs and drives like a champ. And way faster than ever before.

I hope you don't have any parts left over and it works the way you hope!!! It will be a huge success if you can pull that off and you will be super proud, but man I bet you won't do it again.

Reactions: squag27

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OMG, why did you do that! I had the same feeling when I pulled out my rear end and had it on jack stands. That looks totally stressful. I f'd up last month when trying to install a shift kit in the TH400. I spent about $600 in parts and ended up pulling the valve body out about 5 times before I gave up and bought a new TCI streetfighter transmissionfor $1400. I had that popped in and the car runs and drives like a champ. And way faster than ever before.

I hope you don't have any parts left over and it works the way you hope!!! It will be a huge success if you can pull that off and you will be super proud, but man I bet you won't do it again.
The T56 has held up to a good bit of abuse so far so no issues there! The rebuild of the rear end has been a never ending nightmare since then but hopefully I'll be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with that project too.
If I really had to I'd do a manual transmission rebuild again but from what I hear they're a lot more straightforward than working on autos.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now that it's starting to cool down in FL and I've done a couple of recent shows with the car, I figured it's finally time to start on the engine work. I pulled the top end of the 350 apart in anticipation for the Edelbrock roller rocker heads and GMPP LT4 Hot cam that's going in it. What really surprised me about the motor was just how mint the insides of the motor looked like. From what I can tell after finally getting a good look at the back of the block is that the block was cast in 2009 and based off the looks of the cylinder walls and cam, it can't have more than 20k miles on it, including the maybe 10k I've put on it. I also basically confirmed it's an L31 Vortec motor based off the pistons and it being a hydraulic roller motor.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1970 Chevy El Camino Restomod
384 Posts
Squag27, I told my wife about your "blue money pit" after a mishap with my Elky that was likely to cost more money. She chuckled and agreed that we have a gray money pit. She also suggested that we should both stop spending so much time journaling our builds and put that time into setting up a Go Fund Me page. :unsure: Hmm, I wonder if anyone would give you money to replace your camshaft. I bet some fool would. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: squag27

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Squag27, I told my wife about your "blue money pit" after a mishap with my Elky that was likely to cost more money. She chuckled and agreed that we have a gray money pit. She also suggested that we should both stop spending so much time journaling our builds and put that time into setting up a Go Fund Me page. :unsure: Hmm, I wonder if anyone would give you money to replace your camshaft. I bet some fool would. :ROFLMAO:
If I wasn't about to get married I would have tried to find a rich older woman to fund my Carcaine addiction by now!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts