El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been complaining of the engine never getting warmed up on the Elky. So, yesterday, I decided I would go ahead and do some PM on her. The thermostat was a fail-safe thermostat and was locked open. Here is the stupid thing, the past owner put in the high dollar thermostat, but used bathroom silicon caulk for a gasket. Really? A new gasket is only a dollar at any parts house in the world. Some people's thinking, huh. While I was under the hood, went ahead and put in a thermostatic fan contoller for the electric fans. A lot more peace of mind over the switch on the dash and wondering if my wife will pay attention to the temperature guage and turn the fans on!!!!
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Good call on the fan control. I don't know about you but I'm married to a blond!!:dontknow:
Donny

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,669 Posts
Look at it this way on the caulk it was bathroom so the guy figured it would not pee if used that type caulk.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What type if fan controller did you use I'm using a twin fan setup off a,98 maxima but don't want toggle switches in the cab

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
What type if fan controller did you use I'm using a twin fan setup off a,98 maxima but don't want toggle switches in the cab
I bought a 210 degree fan switch on ebay. It gets wired to a relay's coil. So, when the sensor sees 210 degrees, it shorts its two contacts (like turning on a switch) and energizes the relay that supplies power to the fan.

Here's a diagram of my dual temperature controller for a 2-speed fan from a Town Car.

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I always test the thermostats when putting in a new one, too many do have problems right out of the box either not opening or not opening fully. Pretty simple preventative maintenance to ensure you dont have to change it twice!

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
. Here is the stupid thing, the past owner put in the high dollar thermostat, but used bathroom silicon caulk for a gasket. Really? A new gasket is only a dollar at any parts house in the world. Some people's thinking, huh. suks2bu37:nanawrench:
... I never used bathroom caulking for a sealer,but,I have used old 12 pack carrying case for gasket material,works great.:beer:

·
Registered
400 Posts
These folks on ebay claim that their sensor will activate the fan relay at 210 and then bring the temperature down to 195 or so. If their setup works then you only need one sensor and one relay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/COOLING-FAN-TEMPERATURE-CONTROL-SWITCH-RELAY-KIT-210-/400287957088?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d33058060#ht_2475wt_952

Please note, it is unclear to me how the sensor remains "closed" from 210 down to 195. Does anyone have any insight in how such a sensor would operate. I assume the coolant sensor is bimetallic and thus should be triggered closed at a certain temperature.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got mine at Advance Auto Parts. Part number #226206. In stock locally and was only $28.09 plus tax. Took about an hour to install and tidy up for the dual fans.Comes on at around 195 on my cheap temp gauge and turn off at 175. Also has a lead for remote turn on just in case something should happen to malfunction. The directions are great and easy to follow.I can put pics on here if anyone needs them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... I never used bathroom caulking for a sealer,but,I have used old 12 pack carrying case for gasket material,works great.:beer:
Used to use album covers. Worked great!!! Just to let some of the younger folks know, an album was a really big CB that used a needle to read the disk.:poke: And yes, I still have them!!!!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you mean they arnt black frisbees. i showed my daughter an old record and she just rooled her eyes. too funny.as for the fan thermal switch i use the factory 195 one they sell in the performance parts book.works good and keeps the temps below 200 on the hottest day. i use a relay for each fan and tie it into the ac control so they come on with the ac also

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Carl, do you have two small, pull fans? I have two full sized, one push and one pull. I also use two relays, and they turn on with the AC.

David, ya got 45's, 78's, or 33 1/3's???? I have a bunch of each. Some of the 78's are old RCA's, better known as Blue ????

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Carl, do you have two small, pull fans? I have two full sized, one push and one pull. I also use two relays, and they turn on with the AC.

David, ya got 45's, 78's, or 33 1/3's???? I have a bunch of each. Some of the 78's are old RCA's, better known as Blue ????
Got a little bit of all of them!!!! Still have a record player that works. Music just sounded better back then. The sound of dust particles and minute scratches really added something!

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Records great till Reel to Reel, then 8 track, then cassette, then CD, now IPod, next!!!!:let_it_all_out:
Donny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts