El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, where can i find some thiker head gaskets for a 68 396 (396 bored out .30 over) i just dont want to be puting 110 oct in it cuz i cant get it from where im from...so im doing everything i can to get the compression down

thanx a bunch

-brad

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Whoa, Brad 110 octane? 8O I don't think putting in a thicker head gasket is going to lower your compression ratio enough in your 396 to stop it from knocking, if that's what lower octane gas is causing. Short of changing out your pistons to maybe 9.5 to 1 or lower, I don't think theres much you can do if it's requiring 110 octane. How much do you know about that 396? Is it possible that a previous owner rebuilt the engine and installed higher compression pistons, like maybe 11.5 to 1 or bigger or maybe had the heads milled? I'm an old guy and I don't ever remember a stock 396 requiring that high of octane gas...even back in the 60's and 70's. Even my buddies LS-6 454 Chevelle only needed 98 octane. I do remember another friends 440 6-pack requiring Sunoco 105. Where are you buying 110 octane gas? AVGAS is 115 octane. Did you try messing (retarding) with your timing to see if that helps? I don't think you have 10.5 to 1 compression in that motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...im using my dads name when i posted that....im fairly young and stupid...and am learning as we build the thing back up......i know he has shaved racing pistons and he said something about thicker head gaskest that he needed so i figured i would try find some for him......sorry for sounding like an ass...i shouldent be posting things that i dont really know a lot about

1 - 4 of 4 Posts