El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1964 El Camino, 350 SBC, 200-4R
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did late 70s el caminos have a curtain at the rear of the cab which revealed more space?
Would it be possible to create a smugglers box accessible from inside the cab of my 64 el Camino instead of the typical latch at the top of the bed? And maybe fit a spare tire that was mostly in the smugglers box portion and partially in the cab if the tire were laying flat.

What is this panel?

maybe someone can help me make sense of these photos.

I already have rust to remove at the rear panel of the cab.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The 1st pic if from a 5th gen and the access to the smuglers box is from inside the cab. The 2nd pic i am not sure of. Maybe someone with that yr will know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did late 70s el caminos have a curtain at the rear of the cab which revealed more space?
Would it be possible to create a smugglers box accessible from inside the cab of my 64 el Camino instead of the typical latch at the top of the bed? And maybe fit a spare tire that was mostly in the smugglers box portion and partially in the cab if the tire were laying flat.

What is this panel?

maybe someone can help me make sense of these photos.
View attachment 136229

View attachment 136230

I already have rust to remove at the rear panel of the cab.
View attachment 136231

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,749 Posts
The first picture is from a 5th Gen - accessible from inside the cab with a curtain cover - and will fit a spare tire. The second picture is from a 2nd Gen and is accessible from inside the cab but, is way too small to fit a tire. Also, they are notoriously hard to seal and frequently leak. The third picture is the pax side floor and rear bulkhead of a 2nd Gen. It would be really difficult to make an opening similar to the 5th Gen and, it would still not fit a spare. Plus, sealing it on the bed side would be difficult.

Reactions: jelco

·
Registered
1964 El Camino, 350 SBC, 200-4R
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The third photo is mine by the way. I’ve never seen a 2nd gen like the second picture above. I’d really like to make my 2nd gen fit a spare tire 135/60/16 and i think I could do it but would probably have to modify/lower/reinforce the cross brace between the cab and smugglers box. The middle portion of course would have to make room for the driveshaft. It may have to be a dream for a later time.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Middle pic is a 3rd gen. 68-72

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.