El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around to see if anyone had any tips on what third member to use in a Ford 9" rear end for street/strip 79'.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends. I built a 9 inch for my 87 and used a stock ford open diff with 3:50 gears and a 700r4. I loved the combination. If I had the $ when I built it, I would have got a posi. You can upgrade to a nodular iron unit or some of the Strange Eng stuff if you have lots of cash to part with. In my opinion, unless you have monster torque and huge sticky tires, the factory unit will be more than enough just by design. If your looking for any 9 inch parts or a complete bolt in check out my tread in the parts for sale section. If you just need any technical info on setting it up< i'd be glad to help as well.

Looking around to see if anyone had any tips on what third member to use in a Ford 9" rear end for street/strip 79'.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A stocked should be suitable, I used the nodular strange unit in mine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I'm pushing about 550-600 ft/lbs torque and about 600 hp. I actually just took the old TH350 and the 350 sb last night. I am rebuilding the transmission and putting in a bigger stall converter, about 2800-3000. I was thinking about going for the 3.73 gears when I do find a 9". Already have the posi trac. :secret:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as people aren't telling me to watch the gas prices haha I drive a Honda Civic, and I have my bike as well, so I don't care about gas prices for this project.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Agreed about the gas prices, always tell everyone not to worry about what I'm paying for gas. You look at quick performance 9" housings?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts