El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-9710/?rtype=10

I tested it when installed , no leaks. Last several days a gasoline smell, today it was too much opened the hood and it was GUSHING from the seam around the outside. Took it out and took it to napa where I bought it. No teflon tape needed, tapered fittings tight, defective part almost burned down my car. :twisted:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
NICE CATCH! I know I am repeating myself,but, I believe that the hardest aspect of restoring and operating these older cars is having to deal with poorly made (cheap) parts that line the shelves at almost all the national auto parts chain stores.I always make an effort to find and buy American maxde stuff.It took me 4 years of searching the net, including ebay, to find all NOS stainless trim pieces for my white car. I only have a very few little odds and ends that were made in China by little girls who are forced to slave 6 days a week rather than attending school. China is not high on my list. Go to any auto parts store and you will have to look hard for any domestically produced parts. BAD !!

G

·
This is why Obama needs to make GM produce parts for American cars! Sucks that junk like this causes us to be weary of American owned parts stores. Remember,90% of parts at these stores are either made in China or rebuilt in Mexico.:neutral:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am calling them on Monday. The American made ones are around 100$, this is $40. I think it was designed in Ohio, made in china. I am expecting a raise in my mpg.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is why Obama needs to make GM produce parts for American cars! Sucks that junk like this causes us to be weary of American owned parts stores. Remember,90% of parts at these stores are either made in China or rebuilt in Mexico.:neutral:
The reason things are made in China is because the gov't is involved in the free market. The unions have made it so expensive to build anything because of their contracts that make no sense. Paying workers to sit in a lunch room all day just so the union can tell the Big three how many employees they need. I'm sure back in the day the unions were a necessary evil. But not any more. They've become a mouthpiece for a political party and not concerned for the workers. Jus sayin..

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The reason things are made in China is because the gov't is involved in the free market. The unions have made it so expensive to build anything because of their contracts that make no sense. Paying workers to sit in a lunch room all day just so the union can tell the Big three how many employees they need. I'm sure back in the day the unions were a necessary evil. But not any more. They've become a mouthpiece for a political party and not concerned for the workers. Jus sayin..

:agreed:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,358 Posts
...didn't you guys know,that China is the New America..???...When little kids,gets arrested for selling lemon aid,its not a free country anymore.:poke:

·
Registered
113 Posts
...didn't you guys know,that China is the New America..???
Actually, when they are ready, North America will be the new China. And we're "buying" right into their plan!:secret:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
JARHEAD nailed it. We need less gov't intervention in our markets.
here is a funny irony for ya> Almost all our goods, durable and otherwise, are now manufactured in China.But, if you go to a Chinese restaurant to eat chinese food you are served American food. Chinese people, in general, don't eat the types of dishes they sell us here as being "chinese" ! HORSEFEATHERS !! The veggies are grown here, the fortune cookies are made in New York City by machine and the meats are all grown here. WHAZZUP WID ALL DAT ?? We've been had !

·
Registered
769 Posts
Keep Obama out of this we have enough problems already.:barf:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
That is why so many have put on uniforms throughout our history...to preserve our right to vote! Everyone gets one vote, or at least they are supposed to. I think some might get more. The time to complain is November.You can count me in.:secret:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is your opinion of Mr Gasket as a company? I am re-gasketing my engine and I would like to know? Their chrome water neck is also poor quality.

I would like a poster of the Bill of Rights to be the backdrop of all presidential speeches, and they are required to reference it on every current problem or item that comes up.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Company names don't nmatter much these days. You have to eyeball the labels on each product to learn country of origin. Mr. Gasket is probably related to General Tso !!

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
I've gone through three of the vacuum valve between the heater core hose and the block in less than two years. Cheap plastic my original metal unit lasted 25 years. I think I finally learned my lesson and I'm trying to replace most of the parts under the hood with quality parts before they fail and have no choice but to put their crap in to get running. I would think going to auto zone they would first try to give you the most expensive part in stock without asking first but they always come up with the cheapest one on the computer. I asked for plugs and the first one he tried to sell me where $2.09 ea. Were the ones who ran all the production out of the united states and it's the union leaders that con the workers to strike for better pay and end up loosing their jobs. The leaders of the union aren't affected. The EPA ran all the factories out here in the city of commerce Ca. I watched this town turn into a ghost town for years and finally some are moving back.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'm in the parts business at a wholesale warehouse. We are an AC Delco and Motorcraft distributor, in addition to Moog, Fel-Pro, and Bendix. In just ten years the shift in demand has been startling-- shops demand cheaper and cheaper parts because they have so many costs not related to actual car repair that they must make obscene margins on parts to make a profit. They have to pay prime rents, advertising, salaries to absentee owners, etc. Think about how many people, from accountants to lawyers, exist 'upstream' from the customer at a chain like Pep Boys or Kauffman Tire. We stock Moog chassis and chinese 'death to Americans' chassis, which costs a fourth the price. The chinese stuff has almost killed the Moog business. It amazes me that people will pay 50k for an SUV, put $3000 rims on it, then want $50 hub assemblies and $8 tie rod ends. And drive it 85mph with family in it. And stop it with $25 brake pads and $30 rotors. Sorry about the rant, but the stores only stock what the customers buy. And a lot, both shops and individuals, either want cheap or don't know better. Sorry about the rant. In my opinion, Mr. Gasket is shiny cheap crap. Buy Fel-Pro gaskets, Wix or Delco filters, and Delco everything else. Bendix or Raybestos for pads. Watch out, though, almost everyone's rotors come from China. Reuse originals as long as you can.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts