El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan to install a floor shifter into the car this weekend ('84 with 305/4bbl and 350TH column shift) Floor shift is one I pulled out of a G-body Buick (Century?) along with the seats and center console. Should be an amusing project...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoulda known better :mad:
Yeah I got all the brackets for the console--pulled up the carpet in the donor car and drilled out the spot welds to pull them all off. And with some careful measurement it went back together pretty much as designed, though I might have pushed the lever forward a little.
The seats just pulled out of the old car and bolted in to the ElCamino -- they've been there for a year while I was shopping for the brackets on the transmission (and working through some other domestic priorities)
But I put it back together using the old original shift cable, which worked once and then broke. So I took it all apart again, and I'll pick up the cable tomorrow.

But at least I saw it all work once -- even that goofy linkage to the steering column to drive the start safety and reverse light switch and the ignition lock interlock. Anybody ever eliminate all that junk, so the switches are on the shift lever?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm curious too as far as what you're going to do with the column shifter, this winter i plan on putting in a B&M Hammer shifter and haven't quite figured out what to do with the coulmn shift besides remove the arm/handle. I know i could get a floor shifter steering cloumn but i really don't want to do that since my column is fine.

Chris

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I think OPGI carries the part of the column thats needed to correct your problem. You''ll have to paint it to match though and it's kinda expensive and you have to remove the steering wheel and more to install it. Not really sure what has to be done to get the part on there, but you shouldn't have to remove the column to get it on there.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shifter works fine with a new cable.

So far all I did with the column shift is take the handle out--it's kinda silly watching the steering column housing where the handle used to be turn as I drive the floor lever, but that's the way the general built them. Friend who had a car of similar vintage with factory floor shift said that part turned on his car too--like there was a phantom handle.

If you put in an aftermarket shifter, it should include the neutral safety and reverse light switches. Then you could do away with that linkage to the column and the ignition lock interlock.

My car also has the tilt steering wheel--I just got a little into it one time and based on that experience I think I'll just leave the rest of the steering column stay like it is for the time being...
So it will have a little hole where the shift lever used to be. Maybe I'll toss the lever in back with the spare tire--so I can drive home the next time the cable breaks. ;-)

·
Banned
881 Posts
greywolf said:
...it's kinda silly watching the steering column housing where the handle used to be turn as I drive the floor lever, but that's the way the general built them.
All of the 5th gen Elkys with buckets and a factory floor shifter are like that. My 86 MCSS is that way too. If the column housing didn't turn like it does then the cable for the little orange gear indicator arrow wouldn't work.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Yes, that is the part and as I said it is expensive...but maybe you could find one in the boneyard and if your lucky, maybe even the color you need to match your interior. You might also try Mikes Montes...I think their listed on ECCs' links page.

·
Banned
881 Posts
For about $50-75 you should be able to find another steering column from a floor shift g-body. That's the way I'd go. Maybe a column from a MCSS.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I drove around with the hole in the column for a year after installing a Hurst shifter in a factory console. During that time I looked for and finally found the shroud bowl from OPGI. It is not an easy install. My local steering column shop wanted $70 to install. Looked on Ebay for a while and only saw one for $70. Didn't know its condition but did know mine. Finally removed the column from the car, ground down the bump, filled it with epoxy and bondo and repainted it to my new interior color. The hardest part of removal was getting the firewall insulation out of the way.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
elmpala said:
removed the column from the car, ground down the bump, filled it with epoxy and bondo and repainted it to my new interior color.
That is what I did for my 80. I have the B&M Hammer shifter also which has the NSS and Lights on it. The gage replacement I did removed the indicator from the dash so I also cut the shift linkage at the bottom of the column so that didn't pop out when you look under the hood. I've been hunting for a newer column without all that junk but casually not hard at it I am not to a point where I have to have it or use what I've got. And what I got looks alright anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Save a lot of money and aggravation. Just grind the boss off the side of the column shroud, fill the hole with some bondo, sand and touch-up paint. The factory set-up turns the column shroud. If you do it this way, the in dash shift indicator will still work like factory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts