El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going through these posts and noticed no mention of the 267 engine used on some models from 1979 to 1982. I have had a 79, an 80 and now an 81 with this engine and have never had an issue of pulling power with trailers or just flat out driving. I was wondering on others thoughts about this engine.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Never owned one, serviced quite a few when they were newer. Don't recall too many complaints, except one for no power..........turns out the customer had the floor mat wedged under the accelerator and never got WOT!
But 267's? Bigger is better!!!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
They are good for a daily driver,, a whopping 98 hp,, olds had the same with a 267 as well,, another 98 hp,, thats when fuel was an issue,, but for any performance I would not waste my time or money on a 267,, what is nice is that the 350 or even a 400 has the same outside diamensions as far as bolting a 350 right in it`s place,, what do you want to do with one?? matty man

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I had an 82 elky for 14years. the 267 in it never gave any trouble but it had very little power and used a lot of gas.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had a 267. Sure as heck wouldnt own another lol. The term "dog" doesnt even come close! Sure was a gas hog too. Swapped it out for my current 305 and get 3mpg better and can actually do a burnout on command! If youve got one, do yourself a favor: upgrade! A stock 350 or even 305 will feel like a totally new car!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was 16 and my parents surprised me with a (not too old) Camaro! I was so happy. My Dad said "It has a small v8" I'm thinking oh well, a 305.

Nope, it was a 267 - a MAJOR piece of crap because it was a CCC 1981 which came with the computer carb. Horrible mileage, no power and ran like crap over about 3000 rpm.

My 4.3 with 175,000 miles runs better. Seriously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts