El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing from an AC Delco three wire starter to a two wire Summit mini high torque starter. I'm told that the yellow wire is the ignition wire and the blue/purple wire is not needed. Is this correct? :?:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Purple or PPL is the starting circuit from the ignition switch. You will need that. Yellow is the 12 volt feed to the coil. You will need that unless you have some sort of ignition besides points providing 12 volts to the coil in the start position.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
X2

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Changing from an AC Delco three wire starter to a two wire Summit mini high torque starter. I'm told that the yellow wire is the ignition wire and the blue/purple wire is not needed. Is this correct? :?:
Just to clarify, our points-type distributors were powered through a ballast resistor to reduce voltage and thus, give the points a longer life. The yellow wire coming off the starter was only there to supply a full 12 volts to the distributor while cranking the engine so it could start quicker. Once the starter motor was disengaged, ignition power was again only fed through the resistor. IIRC, the distributor ran on about 7 volts.

So, as others have said, if you’re still running points, you still need to provide 12 volts to the distributor during cranking. Otherwise, you’re golden.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Thanks Old Bear. This is exactly what I needed. Wish Summit had these instructions on their website. I got bad info twice from their tech line. I'm an idiot so those instructions will get me going. Thanks again.:smile3:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts