El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been reading up in these posts about the importance of the t.v. for trans to be adjusted properly,lest the trans will sel destruct prematurely. My car shifts well,but I wanted a better understanding of the t.v.cable/adjustment.., and it's purpose/function.
#1. Proper technique for check/adjustments?
#2. So I've read the trans cable controls throttle valve? What is this? How does it help to control trans?
#3. How do I know if I have a lockup t.c.? And if it's functioning correct? How do you know when it locks? Unlocks? I think I've "felt this happen in last gear in other cars. I believe I have the 200r if not then the 700. Def one of the r,s.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Here’s a decent explanation:

As for lock up, do you have a tach? If so, accelerate normally until you’re in fourth. Watch the tach; you should see and feel about 200 rpm drop when the converter locks. The brake pedal unlocks it; very gently touch the pedal (just enough to turn on the brake lights) while holding steady on the accelerator and you should see the rpm rise as it unlocks.
Patrick

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here’s a decent explanation:

As for lock up, do you have a tach? If so, accelerate normally until you’re in fourth. Watch the tach; you should see and feel about 200 rpm drop when the converter locks. The brake pedal unlocks it; very gently touch the pedal (just enough to turn on the brake lights) while holding steady on the accelerator and you should see the rpm rise as it unlocks.
Patrick
thanks Patrick, will read link. You always have the good links. (I gotta learn how to include links for others in future, f.a.q. should have.) No tach. Base model. But still good info,I should be able to feel that. R.p.m. diff on a smooth level road. I'm real attuned to that stuff. It boggles my mind how some can't even feel shift points letalone r.p.m. changes! Lol.

·
Registered
1987 GMC Caballero, 400 HP 350, Holley Sniper EFI, 200-4R
443 Posts
Youtube has several videos explaining how to set your TV cable. There's a specific method, I'm sure.
The cable directly affects (transmission) pump pressure. That's why, if not properly adjusted, you will have premature transmission failure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Youtube has several videos explaining how to set your TV cable. There's a specific method, I'm sure.
The cable directly affects (transmission) pump pressure. That's why, if not properly adjusted, you will have premature transmission failure.
Thanks for suggest. I have learned so far that the cable controls something called a throttle valve in the valve body, which controls the pressure which in turn controls The shift points and how hard it shifts. I guess now that I'm looking for is a diagram to show me specifically how it does it, I guess I'm just really interested in the mechanics. I want to see how it works. as you probably know seeing something and how it works is 50 times better than being explained how it works. This is what led me to tearing down an engine block when I was a teenager. I wanted to know how an internal combustion engine turned a contained explosion into mechanical force efficiently.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
This is a long video yet it will get you an idea how many directions the throttle body sends the fluid as the trans changes functions.
It looks like pancake mix poured into hot grease with all the channels.

There are shift kits that can be added to the throttle body rebuild, or governor changes etc to change shift points.
200-4r High Performance Rebuild - Disassembly (part 1) - YouTube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts