El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I’ve been thinking of upgrading my engine but I realized that would cost a lot of money on top of having to get my exhaust and my transmission changed out... has anybody thrown a turbo on their 4.3L Fuel Injected engine?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
So recently I’ve been thinking of upgrading my engine but I realized that would cost a lot of money on top of having to get my exhaust and my transmission changed out... has anybody thrown a turbo on their 4.3L Fuel Injected engine?
If you go completely through it and up-grade everything will be a fun project. However, if you just throw a turbo on an otherwise stock 4.3 get ready to buy some oil pans to catch all the blow-by..... and make plans to buy a new 4.3 block soon...... Boost is fun but research carefully before you go there!

Joe

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,632 Posts
Depending on the turbo size and boost your thinking of doing, it might be to much for your stock 4.3 And or tranny , unless your gonna run under 5psi of boost, but then I’m not sure if it would be worth it, could be fun for a little while?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If you have to ask, you’re probably not equipped with the knowledge and skills to fabricate that install. I don’t mean that as an insult; I don’t have the knowledge either. I do know GMC changed a lot (compression ratio, computer, injectors, fuel pump, etc) to build Syclones. If you were in a shop that did this type of thing, or were surrounded by Buick GN people, I’d say ‘maybe’. That said, I DO know that turbocharging a 4.3 successfully will be a lot more work than the exhaust and trans work you want to avoid. The simplest turbo swap by far would be to put a complete GN drivetrain in. The simplest way to get more power would be a V8 swap-drop in a 350 or 383, keep the trans, delete the computer and run a regular HEI distributor, mechanical fuel pump and non computer q-jet. (Or, if it’s a mild engine, set the 4.3 throttlebody on it). Still simpler than turboing the 4.3 is the LS swap. I don’t want to be Debby Downer; a turbo 4.3 would be very cool, but not easy.
Patrick

·
Registered
151 Posts
Road Kill .. The Rotsun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts